Late extract addition Process???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am a little confused on the Late Extract Addition Process.
Do you add just a little(25%) LME before your bittering hops or all of the LME at the last 15min of the boil?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is this the process:

-Steep grains for 30min
-Add bittering hops and boil for 60min
-Last 15min add all LME
-Add aroma hops last 5min

I want to try this process on my next batch. I tried my 1st bottled homebrew this weekend, and it really had the that extract "twang" that I have heard about. It was a Hexnut Brown Ale from Midwest. It spent 3 weeks in Primary and 3 weeks in bottle. I want to get a Turkey Fryer to do full boils, and hopefully that will help also.

That is pretty much the process for a late addition. If the recipe has some DME in it, I would just use the DME for the early addition, and use all of the LME for the late addition.

Ed

You need to add a little of your Malt Extract at the beginning of the boil to help with hops utilization.

I use about 1-2 lbs of DME in approx. 2-3 gallons of water after steeping my grains along with the bittering hop addition, then add the rest of the DME at 10-15 minutes, along with Yeast Nutrient and Irish Moss.

Also try using DME instead of LME, IMHO, I think DME is far superior to LME.

I am a little confused on the Late Extract Addition Process.
Do you add just a little(25%) LME before your bittering hops or all of the LME at the last 15min of the boil?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is this the process:

-Steep grains for 30min
-Add bittering hops and boil for 60min
-Last 15min add all LME
-Add aroma hops last 5min

I want to try this process on my next batch. I tried my 1st bottled homebrew this weekend, and it really had the that extract "twang" that I have heard about. It was a Hexnut Brown Ale from Midwest. It spent 3 weeks in Primary and 3 weeks in bottle. I want to get a Turkey Fryer to do full boils, and hopefully that will help also.

Are you doing a full (6 gallon) boil, or a partial boil? If you're doing a partial boil, follow the advice already given. With a full boil, you can add all of your extract at the beginning and not have to worry too much about scorching or "twang". When I still brewed with extracts, I did at least 10 batches with a full boil, and the beers were noticably better than the partial boil beers.

Back