Dissolved Priming Sugar sitting around..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
So I was gong to bottle today. Priming sugar is dissolved and cooling, haven't racked to bottling bucket yet, thankfully, and I have to run to the office for a few hours. Ooops.

I don't see why the priming solution wouldn't be ok to use in say...5 hours....right? It's covered tightly.

Not that 5oz will kill me...but why waste it...

A sugary mixture that has been left to sit is a haven for bacteria. Just go ahead and bring it to a boil again for a few minutes and you'll know that it's OK.

It'll be fine.

Sugar is actually a natural food preservative. I make soft drink syrups for use at home and they stay good for weeks at room temperature.

Tom

it's similar to making sugar water for hummingbirds. I believe that it i recommended to change out the feeders every four days...

so i'm sure that you'll be fine for five hours.....

It'll be fine.

Sugar is actually a natural food preservative. I make soft drink syrups for use at home and they stay good for weeks at room temperature.

Tom

At a high enough concetration it is. But I wouldn't waste a batch of beer betting that my priming solution is a preservative.

it's similar to making sugar water for hummingbirds. I believe that it i recommended to change out the feeders every four days...

so i'm sure that you'll be fine for five hours.....

What does sugar water for humming birds have anything to do with priming beer?

Just do what a couple other people have said, and bring back to a boil to be safe.

I had a similar experience about a year ago. Boiled my priming sugar, then got delayed in the rest of bottling. I stashed the sugar mixture in the fridge, then re-boiled it when I got around to bottling.

Back