Brew Boss DIY Kit Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiersteinbrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After countless hours of reading and looking over schematics, I've decided to build a Brew Boss system. I know I can purchase a complete system but I am wanting a project to occupy holiday time at the in-laws.

I've bounced around the ideas many times of PID, BCS, and Brew Boss; being a tech geek I really want Tablet/Computer setup.

Here is what I've come up with, I am open to any comments, suggestions, or changes:

30a-BrewBoss-Electric-1.jpg

View attachment ebrew-parts-list.pdf

Note: Schematic is from ebrewsupply.com and Photo shopped to accommodate the BrewBoss system and design. I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by doing such. I will gladly remove them if they wish.

240v, 7in tablet, with the 5500w heater, weldless probe fitting, already have a pump, cam locks and sparge arm. $785

After emailing Darin at BrewBoss both the 3500w and 5500w elements stick into the kettle 13.5 inches (which will work on my Bayou Classic 1144 11gal kettle which is 13 5/8 inches inside diameter)

Also note that if you need the weldless probe fitting you have to add that to your shopping cart separately.

Darin is friendly and quick to respond to emails.

Thanks for you reply. I need to contact them. I already have the elements and pump, just need the controller but was scared off by the price. Right now I just plug and unplug my elements as needed. I want a better way but $800 is probably more than I have invested in total over 12 years of homebrewing!

The brew boss arrived today, in a few hours time had it installed and a wet run done. I went ahead and bought a new kettle for the system so I can run my old induction system at the same time. I went with a Bayou Classic 1160 62 quart kettle with basket.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417495334.448987.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417495352.847055.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417495374.221815.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417495391.871093.jpg
Somehow the weldless temp probe adapter didn't make it. Darin was very quick on getting me a replacement sent.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417495529.192220.jpg
The lamp is the pump for my test run.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417495708.933069.jpg

Still designing my sparge/recirculation arm.

So far this is has been great product, and the customer support is top notch.

Hopefully this weekend I can have it completely finished and brew.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm researching the software driven systems... What advantage/differences does this system have vs something like the hosehead system?

http://brewtronix.com/

Is it more automated?

The main difference (I've noticed) is right out of the box the Hosehead system will run a two or three vessel system (granted its one element on at at time). It is geared more for a two or three vessel system.

Where the BrewBoss is geared for a BIAB system (at this time, I believe they are working on getting it to support a second element).

I haven't used the Hosehead system so I can't say if it's more automated or not.

The BrewBoss system is pretty well automated, especially if you add the HopBoss. It does pretty much everything but add the water, lift the bag out, and chill.

The Hosehead system will work on anything with a web browser, from what I understand. Where as the BrewBoss works only via a Android device and their App.

hey schierstein,

just wanted to see how the brew boss system is going so far? have you had a chance to brew anything else?

I've been weighing buying the brew boss vs. braumeister vs. something else (maybe BIAC? maybe electric brewery-style?) and just pulled the trigger on the brew boss on kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2121397318/brew-boss-automated-electric-homebrewing-system). I feel like the braumeister might be a better design and is more compact, but I don't think I can justify the cost just for those two factors (the 15 gallon brew boss system on kickstarter is about $1300 vs ~$3k for the brau). I've also had pretty damn quick responses from Darin at brew-boss, and its nice to support a smaller biz.

any drawbacks you've found with the brew-boss? any advice for a new guy getting started with all grain?

Cheers!
-Ben

hey schierstein,

just wanted to see how the brew boss system is going so far? have you had a chance to brew anything else?

I've been weighing buying the brew boss vs. braumeister vs. something else (maybe BIAC? maybe electric brewery-style?) and just pulled the trigger on the brew boss on kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2121397318/brew-boss-automated-electric-homebrewing-system). I feel like the braumeister might be a better design and is more compact, but I don't think I can justify the cost just for those two factors (the 15 gallon brew boss system on kickstarter is about $1300 vs ~$3k for the brau). I've also had pretty damn quick responses from Darin at brew-boss, and its nice to support a smaller biz.

any drawbacks you've found with the brew-boss? any advice for a new guy getting started with all grain?

Cheers!

-Ben

I'm loving the BrewBoss system, the temp control of the mash is awesome. Which has lead to some of the best beers I've made yet. I have made about 10 or so 5 gal batches and a 10 gal batch on it thus far. My next brew is going to be an 10gal American Light Lager, give me and the system a real test of our grit and skills.

Darin was very quick with emails , insightful, and awesome to do business with.

Not really a draw back but learning the system to create your own programs takes some practice, trial and error. Granted I was creating a hockhurtz step mash profile with numerous hop additions in the boil with chilling for a double ipl beer. I left my kettle full of about 5 gallons of water and would run the program from start to finish until I got it exactly how I wanted it. Which gave me something to do between brews.

All grain is a great way to go, I started AG after just a few extract batches and haven't looked back since. If you don't have a mill yet, save and get one that's the best way to control your efficiency and prevent a stuck sparge (they can happen with the recirculation of the mash with the brew boss). Water PH is another factor I watch closely with a ph meter, tried the strips but they don't work. A refractometer is a very handy tool as well. If you don't have a copy of Palmers How To Brew, get one or use the free online. It's full of info for all grain brewing, I use it regularly for referencing.

Since posting those pictures I have upgraded the system a bit, I installed cam lock fittings (should have done that a lot sooner), and changed the sparge/recirculation arm to where it submerges down into the grain bed and circulates throughout (much like what I've seen in the upgrades Darin has done for the kickstarter)

You won't be disappointed with the BrewBoss system.

I have bought the brew boss DIY kit. I've been looking at the wiring diagram that was posted. I'm not sure if I need the contact-er for the heating element. Can you please explain why its needed. I thought the brew boss would pulse width modulate the SSR to control the element. As compared to a contact-er that is simple on or off.

I have bought the brew boss DIY kit. I've been looking at the wiring diagram that was posted. I'm not sure if I need the contact-er for the heating element. Can you please explain why its needed. I thought the brew boss would pulse width modulate the SSR to control the element. As compared to a contact-er that is simple on or off.

The contacter is not needed.

Thanks. I've got all my parts and hoping to work on it this weekend. Great thread and info. Thanks Again!

Nice! - Way beyond my budget, but very, very nice!
If I had my druthers. I'd just up and buy that BrewBoss - COFI and get it over with, but those days are gone! Too old to work they tell me. I like the BrewBoss system that's shown, and I think it would be just the system for me!

I'm just looking at wiring diagrams for now, I hope to get 'electrified' soon, 12 hour brew-days on our kitchen stove isn't what I really want!
I'm going to start out with an STC-1000, & Power Chip Controller and eventually move into a PID. I've gotta do things a little at a time.

Between the STC and the PCC, so far I've only invested $18 - now to find some short 2000w/120v SS elements, or the 4500w element from Electric Brewery - my Bayou Classic turkey fryer is only 12" max inside, so I have to find short elements or try to bend a $40 one that might break if I screw up (which I usually do!).
MT2sum

BTW, I've read that the reason that most people use a contactor after the SSR which is NC, is that if there is a failure, the SSR fails in a closed position (still somewhat hot), but I guess not enough power to close the contactor which is NO .... and the contactor fails in an open position (no power) .... it's a safety thing - dealer's choice ;>). Just my 2 centavos ......

Yes the BB is very nice, eventually I will add a COFI to my system.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=483034&page=19

On that page there is a 120v system I built just for fun, modeled after the Brau Supply systems. It could be built cheaper if I went single 220v , go cheap temp probe and omit quick connects. On page 20 of that thread there is a break down of the costs.

Thanks. I've got all my parts and hoping to work on it this weekend. Great thread and info. Thanks Again!

Hey Birkin7,

I know this is a bit old but I was wondering how your build went and if you had a pics of your final product? How did you end up wiring it? I have been entertaining building a brew boss controller myself.

I know this is a bit old but I was wondering how your build went and if you had a pics of your final product? How did you end up wiring it? I have been entertaining building a brew boss controller myself.

Sorry for posting too many times. iOS app wasn't working right.

I ended up buying the built controller. As I hadn't built a brew controller yet I didn't want to mess up such an expensive controller. Now that I've built a PID style controller it would be easy to build a brew boss controller.

Back