Estrella Gluten Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytor2012

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewthusiasts!!
Recently I came across a gluten free beer touted as best in the world. It's called estrella from spain. Reading into it they say they use barley in the gluten free. They also say their recipe for this beer is the same as their glutenous beer, they just use different brewing methods. I am extremely curious as to how you can brew a beer containing barley in a way that allows for a gluten free end product. Here is a link that talks about their brew. Any thoughts, techniques, wisdom is greatly appreciated.

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2010/10/product-review-estrella-damm-daura.html?m=1

Hello fellow brewthusiasts!!
Recently I came across a gluten free beer touted as best in the world. It's called estrella from spain. Reading into it they say they use barley in the gluten free. They also say their recipe for this beer is the same as their glutenous beer, they just use different brewing methods. I am extremely curious as to how you can brew a beer containing barley in a way that allows for a gluten free end product. Here is a link that talks about their brew. Any thoughts, techniques, wisdom is greatly appreciated.

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2010/10/product-review-estrella-damm-daura.html?m=1

Heard some with celiac issues will feel the gluten from this brew. Celiac probably has different levels of sensitivity.

Estrella damm daura uses "low" gluten barley, enzymes similar to clarex, and special mashing processes. The end product has less than 6ppm gluten protein. This means gluten sensitive people, like myself, can usually make it through 1 or 2 beers before feeling the effects. There are whole threads on this in the gluten free forum. I have spent a lot of time researching it. Its an interesting subject but, it is not a cure all.

I have had it. Its nothing special but, its not bad. It is fairly pricey for what it is though.

Back