Any Breweries or Winery in Sand Diego?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbGator

Reaction score
Last year I went to Stone and this year I would like to go to another brewery and Winery in San Diego. Any suggestions? I will be driving in from Yuma, AZ so anything around San Diego would be good. I enjoyed doing the tour of Stone last year.:mug:

I'm kidding, of course. From my house, I can walk to:

Hess
Rough Draft
Wet 'n Reckless
Karl Strauss
Ballast Point
Alesmith
Callahan's
Green Flash

You also have:
Stone
On the Tracks
Iron Fist
Mother Earth
Lost Abbey
Port
Mission
Prohibition
Oceanside Aleworks
Coronado
Manzanita
Alpine
Lightning
Aztec

And a million amazing craft beer bars:
Hamiltons, Tiger!Tiger!, Blind Lady Alehouse, Toronado, Small Bar, and aton of great brewpubs whihc I will list later.

Hess
Rough Draft
Wet 'n Reckless
Karl Strauss
Ballast Point
Alesmith
Callahan's
Green Flash

You also have:
Stone
On the Tracks
Iron Fist
Mother Earth
Lost Abbey
Port
Mission
Prohibition
Oceanside Aleworks
Coronado
Manzanita
Alpine
Lightning
Aztec

Hamiltons, Tiger!Tiger!, Blind Lady Alehouse, Toronado, Small Bar, and aton of great brewpubs whihc I will list later.

I kinda figured...had me worried. :tank:

You'll also find some good wineries out in temecula or you can drive an hour or so into the mountains and there's a some good small wineries in Ramona and Julian

dmbGator said:
Last year I went to Stone and this year I would like to go to another brewery and Winery in San Diego. Any suggestions? I will be driving in from Yuma, AZ so anything around San Diego would be good. I enjoyed doing the tour of Stone last year.:mug:

Lost Abbey/Port is less than 10 minutes from Stone (located in the original Stone location). Mother Earth, Oceanside Aleworks, Iron Fist and Aztec are all relatively nearby as well.

My favorites in San Diego are Lost Abbey, Ballast Point, Societe, Coronado, Mission (very cool location in an old Wonder Bread factory downtown), Stone, and Alesmith. A lot of people would throw Green Flash in there as well.

I'd be happy to meet up with you or anyone else wanting to check out SDs abundance of breweries.

Also, as someone pointed out, Temecula has a fun gauntlet of wineries to check out.

- Ryan

Thanks guys I see I have some planning to do. I see a ton of breweries, any wineries relatively close?

I'd highly recommend checking out the tasting room at White labs yeast factory. Its quite close to Ballast point brewery as well.
http://www.whitelabs.com/tasting_room.html
They have multiple batches of the same beer fermented with different yeasts gives you a great idea of the flavor contributions.
Also you get a short tour of the facility and how the various yeasts are produced.

Hess
Rough Draft
Wet 'n Reckless
Karl Strauss
Ballast Point
Alesmith
Callahan's
Green Flash

You also have:
Stone
On the Tracks
Iron Fist
Mother Earth
Lost Abbey
Port
Mission
Prohibition
Oceanside Aleworks
Coronado
Manzanita
Alpine
Lightning
Aztec

Obviously a fellow Mira Mesa bro

You could get to Hess too.

Thanks guys I see I have some planning to do. I see a ton of breweries, any wineries relatively close?

Nearest ones are in Temecula I think

Don't know how much time you have but about two hours north in Orange County you've got Bootleggers, Hangar 24, the Bruery and a great wine/beer bar called The Twisted Vine. Let me know and I can give you more details, but it's all Googleable.

To give a serious answer, if you're only going to do one, I would strongly recommend Ballast Point in Scripps Ranch (they have two locations, but the Scripps Ranch one is the "real" one). The actual brewery experience there is significantly better than most places you can visit due to the recent renovations they made near the World Beer Cup - i.e. they have their entire normal line up on tap but they always have at least 8 other beers on tap that are not normally available and/or never bottled, so you're actually getting a unique brewery experience instead of just stuff you could buy from their bottles. They also have a new outdoor patio where you can actually sit (CA laws prevent breweries from having seats indoors), there's often a food truck or tent set up outside and its quite spacious.

I'd highly recommend checking out the tasting room at White labs yeast factory. Its quite close to Ballast point brewery as well.
http://www.whitelabs.com/tasting_room.html
They have multiple batches of the same beer fermented with different yeasts gives you a great idea of the flavor contributions.
Also you get a short tour of the facility and how the various yeasts are produced.

Great suggestion. I'm definitely going to check this out the next time I'm at Ballast Point.

For a nearby winery, I would definitely suggest Orfila. It's a beautiful location in Escondido (on the way out to the Wild Animal Park) and its not far from Stone. They also happen to have very good wine for this area.

- Ryan

A lot of great places are listed, but since you are coming in on the 8 I would stop at Alpine due to its location entering San Diego.

Chris

Hands down, Alpine, is still the best brewery in California, if not top ten in the USA, and it is right off 8 and Tavern on your way in from Yuma. If you do not go to Alpine, you are really missing out....

San diego county has more than 50 breweries. there is a paper that is piblished over here called the coaster it lists all of the brewries bottle shops and tap rooms. if you go on line maby you can get most of the information. If you cant send me a message and i will try to get you a copy. when you get over here you can pick up a free one at most beer locations.

Hands down, Alpine, is still the best brewery in California, if not top ten in the USA, and it is right off 8 and Tavern on your way in from Yuma. If you do not go to Alpine, you are really missing out....

This....

My other area favorites are Ballast Point, Alesmith, and Pizza Port

From a Native San Diegan. First of all, it is either San Diego or Sand Dawg, not Sand Diego.

San Diego really has an up and coming beer culture. When I grew up, it was boring. Now Pizza Port is rocking their Port Brewing Co beer. Karl Strauss was nastalicious years ago but has a respectable line up. Ballast Point is good if you like hop heavy beer. Stone is our Arc de Triumph of breweries.

And there are more options. You can't go wrong.

From a Native San Diegan. First of all, it is either San Diego or Sand Dawg, not Sand Diego.

San Diego really has an up and coming beer culture. When I grew up, it was boring. Now Pizza Port is rocking their Port Brewing Co beer. Karl Strauss was nastalicious years ago but has a respectable line up. Ballast Point is good if you like hop heavy beer. Stone is our Arc de Triumph of breweries.

And there are more options. You can't go wrong.
Uh, San Diego is not an "up and coming beer culture." It's one of the most popular craft beer cities in the world right now. There are literally 60 breweries in town and perhaps 10 or more of them are world-class, award winning breweries.

Uh, San Diego is not an "up and coming beer culture." It's one of the most popular craft beer cities in the world right now. There are literally 60 breweries in town and perhaps 10 or more of them are world-class, award winning breweries.

Seriously this. Up and coming? San Diego is the preeminent beer city/county of the USA.

I think there are a lot of cities that would claim that title. Mind you that I was raised in Ocean Beach, HS in Point Loma, College and then military in San Diego. I didn't move away from San Diego until I was 28 years old. I agree that San Diego has a fantastic beer culture. But it is still reasonably new. Still growing (up and coming) and that there are a lot of cities that have had a much older and established beer culture. No disrespect to my hometown.

I think there are a lot of cities that would claim that title. Mind you that I was raised in Ocean Beach, HS in Point Loma, College and then military in San Diego. I didn't move away from San Diego until I was 28 years old. I agree that San Diego has a fantastic beer culture. But it is still reasonably new. Still growing (up and coming) and that there are a lot of cities that have had a much older and established beer culture. No disrespect to my hometown.

I can't think of a town with as many world class breweries as San Diego, let alone the straight up number of breweries period. The culture is newer, but the beer is, generally greatly respected. Upstart? Sure. Up and coming? Definitely not.

Ah, that's very downtown. Is that where you're staying? You're a fair ways from most of the breweries proper if you don't have a car, but there is a great Mission Brewing company location there. Otherwise, you're going to want to hit up the Miramar/Mira Mesa area, right at the 5/805 split. That's the first portion of the breweries I listed (I live in Mira Mesa). You may also want to hit up Societe which I left off (unintentionally)- not one of my favorites personally but they are winning awards left and right and people love them.

My favorite beer bars are, in order: Small Bar, Blind Lady Alehouse, Tiger!Tiger!, Toronado, and the Tipsy Crow. The Tipsy Crow is walking distance to the convention center and the rest are all closeish, between the 8, 5, and 805. Stay out of the Hopping Pig, though.

If you're going to have to stick to downtown, I'd head for the Monkey's Paw. It's definitely in a seedy part of downtown, but its a short cab ride from the Convention Center. They brew beer on premises as well as have an extensive craft beer selection.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have decided I'm doing Alpine for sure. I'm trying to lock in a Winery now too.. so any suggestions on a San Diego Winery that I could stop at after Alpine. I'm going to try to go to Alpine for a noon tour and then drive to San Diego for a wine tasting. Let me know if a noon tour is not possible since they are closed today and I couldn't find anything on their website. I don't know too much about wine so if there is a good one to go to please let me know. I'm trying to get this all planned so please help.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have decided I'm doing Alpine for sure. I'm trying to lock in a Winery now too.. so any suggestions on a San Diego Winery that I could stop at after Alpine. I'm going to try to go to Alpine for a noon tour and then drive to San Diego for a wine tasting. Let me know if a noon tour is not possible since they are closed today and I couldn't find anything on their website. I don't know too much about wine so if there is a good one to go to please let me know. I'm trying to get this all planned so please help.

There really aren't wineries in San Diego. You'll have to go to Temecula, and that's a fair drive- they're all pretty much in one spot up there.

Back