Pimping the Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The capacity if probably in the 40 gallon range. The Kettle is 60 gallons, the MLT is 40 gallons and the HLT is 30 gallons. The fermenter is 24 gallons. My batches are generally in the 15 - 20 gallon range.

Would you by any chance be able to elaborate on the inline thermocouple? Remember what/where you got those parts from? I'm looking into getting a Brutus 10 rig going, but can't figure out how to get an inline temperature reading.

I guess my biggest issue is how long the thermocouple is. Did you find a pretty short one to put inline? Any idea where you got the parts needed for this? I'm thinking about going the BrewTroller route instead of Love Temp Controllers, but nothing is definite at this point.

When boiling with steam, do you really think that it makes much of a difference (maillard/darkening etc) over direct fire? Especially in light of the fact that most of the heat would be dissipated through the outer jacket and not into the wort? As I understand it, the benefit of steam comes mainly from its ability to dissipate evenly around the vessel. If you have to use electricity then I can see that an immersion element might be too high of a watt density, but really isn't direct fire gas esp with a clad bottom a low enough watt density to practically eliminate unwanted scorching/darkening? Sorry that is a run on I think. Nice setup, looks very space probe-y!

We could really use your advice on how to make our conical jacketed. I have a 27 gallon blichmann and I am putting a glycol coil around the bottom. I don't always make full batches.

Check out our website and you can see so far that the coil is close to the cone but not against it.

www.mybrewonline.com

One of the hurdles I have is how to make the coil uniformly touch the cone. I thought of using shrink tape but I am open for suggestions.

BTW, awesome job on the steam jacketing. Very nice.

Mr. Pastor you may need a therapist to help you with your addiction! That Sir is the best system I've seen to date. You said welding your conical. I've been loking at make a few like Yuri did a while back. Did you buy components and do the build? The only place I've found components is Toledo Spinning. Where did you get your conical components? Thanks for posting your awesome set-up. :rockin:

I got the hoppers from Toledo Spinning. There is going to be an article about it in the upcoming Zymurgy. If you don't get it I can get you a copy of what I wrote.

Thanks, I didn't know about their ability to seal. My only concern. Their lid was my question. I'm sure I can figure out the sealing issues I've read. Maybe I can make a few extra to pay for my own. I just got a 2 yr mambership to AHA so I should see the article in the magazine. Thanks for the offer. Thought I should be a member anyway, so just did it.

my first reaction was increased blood flow. then complete awe at the level of sexiness (all stainless) you got here. then on to the dedication of half a garage to your brewery. then all the million man-hours seeking, aquiring, building involved. this really dwarfs my keggle setup. if i mail you a poster size photo, will you autograph it?

Back