Searching for Samuel Adams Old Fezziwg recipe and more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thakoolaidkid

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting my first batch and am looking to start one immediately after to have ready for the holidays.

I have been searching for a clone recipe of Sam Adams Old Fezziwig, if anyone has this it would be great since they only sell it two out of twelve bottles in a mix pack around me.

But outside of that I am looking for a good 5 gallon recipe for a Winter Lager/Ale. My setup is for a 5 gallon mix and my temperature has been hovering around 67-68F. I am not sure if that is suitable for anything other than an Ale.

So if anyone has a good recipe or could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Just stumbled on a recipe that is supposedly a match of Old Fezziwig. Does anyone have experience with this recipe?

20l of unchlorinated water
3kg Dark Malt Extract
900g Dry Dark Malt Extract (DME)
1.3kg Clover Honey
225g Chocolate Malt
225g Crystal Malt (80-L)
225g Black Patent Malt
60g Northern Brewer Hops (Bittering)
30g Cascade Hops (Aroma)
30g Ginger, Grated
3 Oranges, Peeled and Quartered
3 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Whole Nutmegs
6 Whole Cloves
1/4 Teaspoon Irish Moss
1 Vial White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004)
200g Dry Malt Extract (Priming)

Anyone wanna take the time to do this? I'll try and remember to bring my laptop to work tomorrow to convert everything if it's not done by then.
I'm in the same boat OP. 2 out of 12 only way to get it.

Old Fezziwig
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer

Type: All Grain Date: 5/17/2007
Batch Size: 6.00 gal Brewer: Joshua
Boil Size: 8.24 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12 gal) and Cooler (52 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.12 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.90 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.20 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.16 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 49.8 SRM Color:
Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.60 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.75 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.5 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

This is what I found online...

That'll never work for an AG beer -- 12 lbs of Crystal as your base? You've got no diastolic power to convert starches to sugars. Switch the Crystal & Pale & you'll be fine.

That'll never work for an AG beer -- 12 lbs of Crystal as your base? You've got no diastolic power to convert starches to sugars. Switch the Crystal & Pale & you'll be fine.

I have no idea I just found it online. Thats in interesting use of "diastolic", I think you mean diastatic?

I would love to get a clone of this recipe too. Like others, 2 out of 12 isn't enough for me either. This one is so good I just consider it as costing $5/bottle and if you buy 2 you get 10 assorted bottles for free.

The recipe doesn't seem realistic though. There is a dominating butterscotch aroma and taste and I have a hard time believing 5% Crystal 60 is going to do that. I would have guessed it would take closer to 15% to get that kind of dominating effect out of Crystal 60.

There are a ton of Spiced Christmas ales that claim to be similar via google search if you want I'll post them here and the people here with the experience can assess them for you. I certainly cannot determine the color, flavor and the enzymatic power to covert starch into sugar from looking at the recipe. Let me know if thats what you want and I'll start posting them.

Do what mlking said you should be fine.

I would agree, though, with ChemE, though, that 5% crystal in the grain bill might not be enough. This weekend, I had one of my AHS Our Special Holiday Ales back-to-back with an Old Fezziwig. Obviously one is not a clone of the other, but the comparison is worth it. Mine is extract, but the grain bill is about 10% crystal 60L. The spicing was just about dead nuts identical, but the Old Fezziwig was much darker, redder, and had a lot more caramel flavor. You're going to need more than 10% crystal to do that.

I'm thinking Special B rather than Crystal 60 is the key to knocking off this brew. I haven't tried this yet but I was fooling around in BeerSmith last night trying to come up with something which has a prayer of producing that much butterscotch smell and taste and still has enough diastatic power to completely self convert. Anyone familiar enough with Special B to comment on the effect of 10% in a grain bill? Comments on this recipe in general with respect to faithfully reproducing Old Fezziwig Ale are welcome too. Since there doesn't seem to be much information on cloning this brew maybe we can all work from a common recipe and make changes one at a time until we nail it. It would take a decent amount of participation but we could get a lot further a lot faster than we could working in isolation.

Recipe: Fezziwig Version 1
Style: Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 22.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 92.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs Munich Malt (5.0 SRM) Grain 33.10 %
3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 33.10 %
1 lbs 3.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.5 SRM) Grain 13.10 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.03 %
12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8.28 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.38 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (90 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (30 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.70 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.12 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.90 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.20 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

I get ridiculously good efficiency so others may need to scale this recipe before they give it a shot.

--There is a dominating butterscotch aroma and taste--

Could this be a diacetyl issue? I haven't had a bottle of SAOFA in a long time so I could be way off, but it comes to mind when I hear butterscotch.

I'll toss this out there based on grain types listed on SA website:

78% 2-Row
5% Munich
12% Crystal 60
5% Chocolate

I haven't brewed that much using spices so I can't really comment on that, but the website does say they use generous amounts of cinnamon, ginger, and orange peel. Take it for what it's worth considering they think a pound of hops per bbl is alot.

I doubt it, there is a big difference between butter and butterscotch. I would hope that SA was a good enough brewery not to have a diacetyl issue.

Bringing this back-

Anyone have a SA Fezziwig clone? Looking for an extract recipe.

Would love to start this next weekend....

Thanks!

I am curious about this.. but one question I have for ChemE for the above recipe.. is why would you use T-58? From my experience, T-58 is almost like a WLP500 Trappist yeast.

I would think you would want to use WLP002 English

I'm looking to brew a Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale clone for Christmas as well. Does anyone have a solid recipe yet?

Thanks! :mug:

I am curious about this.. but one question I have for ChemE for the above recipe.. is why would you use T-58? From my experience, T-58 is almost like a WLP500 Trappist yeast.

I would think you would want to use WLP002 English

That was back in my dry yeast days and back then I didn't know as much about brewing as I do now (which is still not too much). If I had to do it now, I'd probably make my first attempt with my house yeast Wyeast 1968 fermented at 66F. That way I could get the maltiness without much in the way of fruity esters and still have a totally bright beer. If someone like Jamil recommended a different yeast I'd switch though. I don't think 1968 is correct just appropriate.

I'm not sure from reading this post if a recipe was ever nailed down. Of course, SA is awesome enough to post their ingredients. You'll just need to nail down the ratios:

Two Row Pale
Munich-10
Chocolate Malt
Caramel 60

Tettnang Tettnanger
Hallertau-Mittlefruh

Cinnamon
Ginger
Orange Peel

Top fermenting ale yeast

OG = 16* plato

I've never had Old Fezewig, but would be interested in trying an AG recipe based on these ingredients. I might play around with this later.

hm, where did you get that?

I poked a bit on SA's site - never found anything really

Follow the "World Of Beer" link from the main page. Then, click on "Beer Styles"

Old Fezziwig is under "Seasonal Beers". Look under characteristics for the needed info.

Back