Yeast infection...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
good lord, so i bottled my first batch, a beautiful brown ale--lotsa grey yeast/trub on the bottom of the carboy...4 days into the conditioning, lotsa yeast in the bottom of the bottles....supposed to be this much yeast????

btw...i know im supposed to wait, but i cracked one open tonight anyway :tank:to check the progress, pretty good head and carbonation for 4 days in, little light on the taste, but i'm a big porter/dunkel/dopplebock/oatmeal stout guy anyway..

can we upload pics here???

You haven't described anything like an infection.

You can link to pics elsewhere. You can pay to support the site and post pics here.

You could also give a more complete description of what your process was - could be you have lots of yeast because you were too quick to bottle, could be that you stirred things up and sucked a lot into the beer, could be that your idea of "a lot" is based on "none" in commercial beer as a point of comparison.

What did you prime with - DME throws a lot more sediment than corn sugar or honey.

How did you determine that you were ready to bottle?

How long had it been in primary? Did you use a secondary - if so, how long? What were your OG and FG, and how long was your FG stable before you bottled?

OK, so this must have been the batch you posted about Here which would make it 18 days old and having got a lot of hops and cold break in the fermenter by the sound of it. If you moved the racking cane around any, or moved the carboy before racking, your "gray yeast" is likely explained by that - re-suspended trub mixed with the beer settling out in the bottle.

Sounds like you made beer to me! The longer you leave the beer in the fermenter, the clearer and less sediment you'll have.

2 weeks to the day....

QUOTE=Nurmey;857840]How long did you leave it in the fermenter?[/QUOTE]

2 weeks, 68-70 degrees in a dark basement, covered with a damp towel in a glass carboy. I primed with corn sugar, boiled into 2 cups of water and placed into the bottom of the bottling bucket--i siphoned into the bottom of the bucket to create sir and minimal aeration.

yes, that's the batch, 18 days old last night, 14 days in when i bottled.

thanks for the info, i did move the racking can around a bit because I was trying to get maximum liquid out of the carboy b/c i was already short by almost a gallon because of the boil kettle fiasco explained in the original thread.

You haven't described anything like an infection.

You can link to pics elsewhere. You can pay to support the site and post pics here.

You could also give a more complete description of what your process was - could be you have lots of yeast because you were too quick to bottle, could be that you stirred things up and sucked a lot into the beer, could be that your idea of "a lot" is based on "none" in commercial beer as a point of comparison.

What did you prime with - DME throws a lot more sediment than corn sugar or honey.

How did you determine that you were ready to bottle?

How long had it been in primary? Did you use a secondary - if so, how long? What were your OG and FG, and how long was your FG stable before you bottled?

OK, so this must have been the batch you posted about Here which would make it 18 days old and having got a lot of hops and cold break in the fermenter by the sound of it. If you moved the racking cane around any, or moved the carboy before racking, your "gray yeast" is likely explained by that - re-suspended trub mixed with the beer settling out in the bottle.

How much trub is on the bottom of the bottles? Like, in a 12oz bottle, is there half an inch of solids? More info!!!

I'd say any more than 1/4" and it's too much, which means you didn't let the beer clarify enough, so too many solids, yeast cells, etc., were still in suspension when you bottled...OR, you picked up too much trub from the fermenter when you racked to the bottling bucket. What kind of siphon do you use? Autosiphon or manual? Does it have a redirection tip on it? Did you move the fermenter around a lot just prior to bottling? That would rouse a bunch of trub and increase the amount in your beer.

I like to "cold-crash" my beer in primary; after the fermentation is done, wait another week, then get it as cold as you can for a few days. This will cause a bunch of the solids to precipitate to the bottom and minimize the amount of trub in the bottles. Also be very careful when racking not to pick up too much trub from the cake at the bottom of the fermenter.

Anyway, in any case, this beer should be fine, all other things being equal. Just be careful when pouring to minimize the amount of trub in your glass.

Back