Beer bottle collection to reuse as homebrew bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buraglio

Reaction score
My dad was in the beer of the month club for 5-7 years in the late 80's - early 90's (I don't remember the exact dates) and apparently kept every bottle they sent (after consuming the contents =). He recently offered them up to me for bottling homebrew since I hate the idea of buying empty bottles and since they've been sitting in boxes for years and years. Upon going through a few boxes of them I've found that many are actually twist off, which surprised me quite a bit. Anyway, it got me thinking, is there any reason that anyone can think of to *not* to clean and reuse these bottles?

Thanks,

nb

i prefer non twist-offs but since i have a bench capper i use twist off and haven't had a problem.
old bottles i soak in bleach water for two days, use the bottle sprayer and brush and rinse in potassium metabisulphite(campden tablets). i then sanitize before use after any storage.

rod said:
i prefer non twist-offs but since i have a bench capper i use twist off and haven't had a problem.
old bottles i soak in bleach water for two days, use the bottle sprayer and brush and rinse in potassium metabisulphite(campden tablets). i then sanitize before use after any storage.

Yeah, I was just planning on recycling the twist offs. I've never used them but most say to avoid them w/o a bench capper. I use pretty much the same method for cleaning/sanitizing. I guess what I really want to know is if there is any reason to keep them as a collection and leave them as-is.

buraglio said:
My dad was in the beer of the month club for 5-7 years in the late 80's - early 90's (I don't remember the exact dates) and apparently kept every bottle they sent (after consuming the contents =). He recently offered them up to me for bottling homebrew since I hate the idea of buying empty bottles and since they've been sitting in boxes for years and years. Upon going through a few boxes of them I've found that many are actually twist off, which surprised me quite a bit. Anyway, it got me thinking, is there any reason that anyone can think of to *not* to clean and reuse these bottles?

Thanks,

nb

The only thing that comes to my mind is that I cannot recap twist off's my capper gets stuck and I have to beat it off with a hammer and then clean up broken Glass and the ones that are not twist will be a good score just make sure you sanatize them good considering how long they sat.

13970-twistoff.jpg

Twist off's usually work, though the caps look kind of distorted. A lot of them are thinner than the non-twists, you can physically feel the difference in weight. I'm always more careful with the twist offs and try to drink those first.

BTW, most of them will twist off by hand.

Back