Centennial IPA Critique, If You're So Inclined

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
I've had a tickle in my brain about doing a Centennial IPA, and I ended up playing with the Founder's recipes floating around here. This is not meant to be a clone, just an "inspired-by" recipe. I'm not shy when it comes to hop aroma, so I deviated a bit with amounts and especially the dry hopping, but if anybody wants to chime in with their thoughts I'd love to hear it before I brew tomorrow! I already hit the LHBS to get the ingredients and to re-stock my 2-row card, so I have the goods and they have 70 of my dollars, but this is my end-of-the-summer hurrah. I want to make it good!

(I can't figure out how to get BeerSmith to export those fancy reports everybody uses, so here goes.)

7.5 gallon batch, 80% efficiency, 60 minute boil
SG 1.071, 69 IBUs

12lbs US 2-row (65%)
2.5lbs Maris Otter (13.5%)
2lbs Cara-Pils (10.8%)
1lb Crystal 40 (5.4%)
1lb Munich (5.4%)

1oz Apollo (20.1%) FWH
1oz Centennial (10.5%) 15 mins
1oz Centennial (10.5%) 10 mins
1oz Centennial (10.5%) 5

Ferment with Nottingham, 14 days + 7 days w/ dry hops

3oz Centennial (10.5%) dry hop 7 days
1oz Apollo (20.1%) dry hop 7 days

Estimating 7.5% ABV, 8.4 SRM

Anything look awry? Should I move the late additions even further up, 15/5/1 or something? Should I add some sugar and make it a double? Because I will with the slightest provocation. :)

I've had a tickle in my brain about doing a Centennial IPA, and I ended up playing with the Founder's recipes floating around here. This is not meant to be a clone, just an "inspired-by" recipe. I'm not shy when it comes to hop aroma, so I deviated a bit with amounts and especially the dry hopping, but if anybody wants to chime in with their thoughts I'd love to hear it before I brew tomorrow! I already hit the LHBS to get the ingredients and to re-stock my 2-row card, so I have the goods and they have 70 of my dollars, but this is my end-of-the-summer hurrah. I want to make it good!

(I can't figure out how to get BeerSmith to export those fancy reports everybody uses, so here goes.)

7.5 gallon batch, 80% efficiency, 60 minute boil
SG 1.071, 69 IBUs

12lbs US 2-row (65%)
2.5lbs Maris Otter (13.5%)
2lbs Cara-Pils (10.8%)
1lb Crystal 40 (5.4%)
1lb Munich (5.4%)

1oz Apollo (20.1%) FWH
1oz Centennial (10.5%) 15 mins
1oz Centennial (10.5%) 10 mins
1oz Centennial (10.5%) 5

Ferment with Nottingham, 14 days + 7 days w/ dry hops

3oz Centennial (10.5%) dry hop 7 days
1oz Apollo (20.1%) dry hop 7 days

Estimating 7.5% ABV, 8.4 SRM

Anything look awry? Should I move the late additions even further up, 15/5/1 or something? Should I add some sugar and make it a double? Because I will with the slightest provocation. :)

You need to open the "preview pane" in Beersmith, then select the "plain txt" option. From there you can cut and paste the recipe. The preview pane can be found by highlighting the recipe and then selecting the preview icon on the right.

You need to open the "preview pane" in Beersmith, then select the "plain txt" option. From there you can cut and paste the recipe. The preview pane can be found by highlighting the recipe and then selecting the preview icon on the right.

Sweet, thanks. I'll remember that for next time.

The recipe seems a little heavy on the cara-pils and dry hopping. I would bring down the 60 min addition a little and add some of the Centennials you plan on dry hopping to late additions. Just my $.02, I'm sure it will be great as is.

I think you're crystal is pretty high as well. Maybe down to 4-8 oz you shouldn't need much in an IPA

I'd definitely reduce or get rid of the carapils. The crystal 40L is ok if you like a sweeter IPA.

I've never used apollo hops, so I can't comment on them.

Here's how I'd brew that:

15lbs US 2-row
.75lb Crystal 40
1 lb Munich
1oz Apollo (20.1%) FWH
1oz Centennial 15 mins
1oz Centennial 10 mins
1oz Centennial 5
1 oz centennial 0 minutes

2 oz centennial dry hop 5 days
1 oz apollo dry hop 5 days (if I was convinced I liked it! :D)

If using nottingham, I'd go no higher than 62 degrees. Otherwise, I'd use WLP001 or S05.

You could replace the carapils with something like flaked wheat. It should give body like the carapils but will ferment out more and not be as sweet.

So . . . you're saying I should have asked about this before I went shopping, then? ;)

I just started drinking this, I don't think there's much i'm going to change next time around other than playing with different dryhops - it's pretty fantastic. 5.5gal batch:

14# 2-row
1# Crystal 60
1# Vienna
.25# Acidulated (for my water profile)

1oz Chinook FWH
1oz Centennial 15
1oz Centennial 10
1oz Centennial 5
1oz Centennial 0

1oz Motueka Dry
1oz Centennial Dry
1oz Cascade Dry

I've done this as all Centennial before, it was really good too but I wanted to up the IBU's this time around. I think I hit it pretty spot on for what I was looking for.

Man I love me some Centennial hops. I have a toned down version of this in a Pale Ale and love that too.

I wanted to update on this, and I'll do a proper update to the OP when I get my notes straight. This came out very nice as written. Good, sharp bitterness, good aroma (though somehow not as much as I expected, or maybe just not what I'm used to as I've never really used Centennial out front like this) and nice even malt body. Not sweet, not too big, really just right. I think this base will be a keeper on which to vary the late hops and dry hops - I can see it going great with some Cascade/Citra/Amarillo action. I may pull back on the Cara-pils just to see if it loses (or gains) from that.

Back