In heaven there is no beer! There is in Oregon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I've been told that people who vividly remember their first drink will become alcoholics. I remember mine. It was a hot, humid Illinois summer day in 1960, I was about 8 years old. Tom Oltman's dad was a bit odd and he thought it would be funny to give Tom, Larry and I each our own can of beer. Probably Hamm's, Schmidt's, some yellow snowmelt. Nice and warm, the beer that is. I didn't touch alcohol again until I was almost 20!

Drank the meltwater in college, switch to mixed drinks in the Navy, had quite a collection of wines in the 80's. Then the craft beer thing got started and I jumped on the (beer) wagon. My first brewing experience was a BrewSack. Decided I could do better.

I've been brewing for about five years. Extract, partial mash and AG. I'm focusing more on old styles. I figure any club meeting, there will be a dozen IPAs and Belgians. An English Old Ale with molasses notes (ok, gongs) stands out. Milds and browns are also rare.

I retired last year in the middle of the Willimette valley. I've planted my own hops, but during the harvest here, you can buy an entire hop vine for about $12 US. That's 8-10 lbs of wet hops or about 1 1/2 lbs dry.I can daytrip to over 40 brewpubs, all the way from Widmer's 10,000 barrel facility (that's at a time, not a year) down to a half dozen one-man (or woman) 1 to 7 barrel breweries. It's a tough life.

Who says there is no beer in Heaven? If not then something better. I know that there will be wine, why not beer?

I remember my first drink too but my experience was better. :D I didn't become an alcoholic but then maybe I haven't taken the first step either. :rolleyes: No really, I'm not.

It does sound like a really nice place to retire.

Hope the Beer Gods don't get wind of this thread. They'll send Nastinomos, Lesser Imp of Beer Infection to visit your primary next time you set up a particularly expensive brew. Just warning you. They know I'm on their side. :p

ScottT said:
Who says there is no beer in Heaven? If not then something better. I know that there will be wine, why not beer?

I remember my first drink too but my experience was better. :D I didn't become an alcoholic but then maybe I haven't taken the first step either. :rolleyes: No really, I'm not.

It does sound like a really nice place to retire.

Well, when you take the first step, just remember, there are twelve of them.

Oh, sure ! Pick on the literate Brother ! This counts as reading. That, and the young reader's section at the local library was all out of pop-up books. I find them so exciting ! You never know what's coming at you next. Finished the Dick and Jane novel I was reading. You won't believe this, but that damn Spot actually caught the ball ! Dick and Jane laughed and laughed, and Father even joined in. It was heartwarming.
Must sleep now, or bad things will happen. :drunk: :drunk: :(

Back