Eagle Scouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
After reading Who are you? i figured... i should ask anyother eagle scouts here?

the one random one i clicked on was another one, so i figured what the hell ;).

I was so close. I grew up in Va and got my Life Scout, but moved right before I was going to start my Eagle project out here to AZ. I jsut never got back into it once I moved.

And yes, I do regret it now.......

Got my life, but soon lost interest, looking back on it I really wish i would have stuck with it. Oh well ya live and learn.

Got up to Star and then there was a big scandal in N.J. involving the drowning death of an Eagle Scout with every swimming award available. Couldn't swim, period. Turned out there was a whole ring of Scouters that were swapping favors & merit badges for their sons.

I kept working with Scouts as an adult leader through college, but that was it.

I made it to Weblos before losing interest. There was a scandal tied to mine as well - most of the scouts in my pack went to a Catholic school that I had gotten kicked out of.

Why did I get kicked out? Because when I was in third grade, I was sick but my teacher refused to acknowledge it. I was so ill I started crying, and got punished for crying by being forced to sit in the hallway facing the wall. Begged to call my parents, but was told "no".

Got home and had a temp of 104. I was sick for a week. My parents were furious and brought it to the school board. We were then asked not to come back. The teacher lost her job, the priest in charge of the school was soon transferred, and other children left as well. It was more than just my being sick. There was a kid who wasn't allowed to go to the bathroom, then punished for wetting his pants. There was the time my sister chipped her teeth in gym and the teacher got the kids to call her "Dracula".

No wonder I hate religion!

Not an Eagle Scout... lost interest when my local troop would tie knots every meeting, and do little else.

My oldest is now a Tiger Cub (as of last week, first meeting this week!) and I hope he'll see things through.

You got me thinking, so I wiki'd "Boy Scouts of America" and reread the Scout Slogan, Scout Oath, Scout Law, extra. Though it is worth posting as a good refresher:

The Scout Motto: Be Prepared.
The Scout Slogan: Do a Good Turn Daily.
The Scout Oath: On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
The Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.
The Outdoor Code: As an American, I will do my best to be clean in my outdoor manners, be careful with fire, be considerate in the outdoors, and be conservation-minded.

I had forgotten about the "Do a Good Turn Daily” Slogan. Will have to work on that.

One more Eagle Scout here. Scouting definitely helped me to be the person I am today. Our Troop dominated all else in our area and I think we cranked out something like 18 Eagle Scouts in about 4 years. We took 32 scouts up Mt. Shasta (14,000+ ft), hiked 70 miles that summited Mt. Whitney (tallest in continental US), and did all sorts of other crazy stuff. Ah that was the good ol' days.
I'd like to do some more hiking but it's hard to make time for that sort of stuff anymore....

Craig5_12 said:
One more Eagle Scout here. Scouting definitely helped me to be the person I am today.

Likewise. I really try to live by the slogan: "Do a Good Turn Daily."

So many people in this world are just (pardon the francais), ******** looking out only for themselves. Perhaps it was the combnation of Boy Scouts or just growing up in the sticks, but if an old lady needs help crossing the street, I've no shame in helping her.

Once I settle down in one place I plan to give back by at least being an Asst. Scoutmaster for the local troop.

Another Eagle Scout here. Also a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow. As was my older brother. My dad was our Scout Master and won the Silver Beaver award. Anyone been to Philmont?

Al

Short Drive said:
Another Eagle Scout here. Also a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow. As was my older brother. My dad was our Scout Master and won the Silver Beaver award. Anyone been to Philmont?

Al
Philmont + OOA here as well.

Short Drive said:

Al

OA member and my dad was Silver Beaver! Never been to Philmont tho.
Great memories! :mug:

anyone ever do seabase? the best week of my life! OOA here also, as well as a former senior patrol leader..haha

Eagle Scout checking in....as well as OOA and then moved onto an Explorer troop for all of....2 weeks.... :D

98EXL said:
Eagle Scout checking in....as well as OOA and then moved onto an Explorer troop for all of....2 weeks.... :D

2 weeks in an explorer troop? what was wrong? i was always interested, never did it though.

I lost interest in scouting after I got my Life, but before becoming an Eagle scout. I had fun in scouts, and learned a lot of skills, but I don't regret quitting early.

jjasghar said:
2 weeks in an explorer troop? what was wrong? i was always interested, never did it though.

the leaders were gay...not homosexual, I thought they would be cooler, but reminded me more or less of Weblos......so I said f-this, I'm out

On my honor... Eagle Sout, 1977. Order of the Arrow some time back around there. Philmont. 50 mile award. Canoe Ranch. Joint rolling. Beer drinking. Whiskey. Rum. Peach Schnaps. Never cigarettes, I had my standards.

I live in Philmont country.

I just loved New Mexico when we where at Philmont. The clean air and water, the breath taking scenery left me awe struck. I've always said if I had to live some place other than Wisconsin it would be New Mexico. BP your lucky.

Al

the scouts taught about the wonderful world of smoking and drinking when I was a summer camp counselor. Good times

Another Eagle and OOA here... for some reason I knew that Yuri was an eagle scout. Good to see that there are so many of us interested in homebrewing.

We need to design a homebrewing merit badge, maybe a whole series: Brewing, all grain, equipment building, judging, sampling....

So what was everyone's project?

Because I grew up in the sticks and it is hard for individuals to recycle, I built a shed in the middle of our town for people to drop off recyclables. The scouts then take it in every few months for cash. I think the parents now spend double on fuel than what they get from the recycling:).

wop31 said:
Another Eagle and OOA here... for some reason I knew that Yuri was an eagle scout. Good to see that there are so many of us interested in homebrewing.

the two other guys that started brewing with me are eagle scouts as well! Birds of a feather I guess....

I built a dugout and fence at the local ballfield for my project....

Craig5_12 said:
I built a dugout

"you put your weed in it!"

I built a big-ass fence around some 100 something year old trees in a state park = gay but got me my Eagle

Eagle Scout in 88. OA, Senior patrol leader, assistant scout master, dad got silver beaver. I just chased local beaver...

Loved it, want to do it again, hope my son is interested.

Project: Lanscaped my church. :D

Eagle Scout and OA in the '87-88 region or thereabouts. Built a storage shed for our sponsoring church which I think was essentially to get the scouts out of a closet inside the church (didn't look good when we came back from a camping trip Sunday around service time).

Back