Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a very solid plan. I managed to find about 30 different PDF files detailing step by step instructions so I've gone ahead and bought all the equipment and not a kit.

My only questions now are about the ingredients and how to use them.

I assume the hop amounts are listed in terms of lbs, e.g. 0.25 lb of motueka at 60 mins etc? And you put all the hops and zest into a hop sock right?

Also with the yeast, I guess you're sold the same amount of live yeast in the US as the UK? I'd just need to make a starter and add it to the mix at the right time?

Thanks again guys.

Hops are in U.S. ounces... Hope you haven't bought pounds of them yet....if you did I'm sure there are many on this thread who would buy them from you.
Even the most hoppy IPA's rarely have more than 6-7 ounces in a 5 gallon batch

Brewskii is correct it's in ounces....and while you could use a hop sock, I personally prefer not to use one so that the hops can mix around in the wort during the boil (personal preference no scientific data that proves it makes it better), then when I rack my wort to a fermenter, I use a funnel with a screen...the screen filters all of the hops, but also adds oxygen to the wort because it's causing several small streams to come through like a shower head.
As for yeast, yes they are sold in the same tube/bag size across the pond...however you should look up Mr. Malty yeast calculator and use this to understand exactly how many vials or how big of a starter you need.
Best if luck, and happy brewing!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewskii is correct it's in ounces....and while you could use a hop sock, I personally prefer not to use one so that the hops can mix around in the wort during the boil (personal preference no scientific data that proves it makes it better), then when I rack my wort to a fermenter, I use a funnel with a screen...the screen filters all of the hops, but also adds oxygen to the wort because it's causing several small streams to come through like a shower head.
As for yeast, yes they are sold in the same tube/bag size across the pond...however you should look up Mr. Malty yeast calculator and use this to understand exactly how many vials or how big of a starter you need.
Best if luck, and happy brewing!

That's great, honestly thank you very much. Just 1 last question I promise..

The extract recipe is listed as:
7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract

Is that 7lbs and 12.6 oz of wheat liquid extract (approximately 3.5 kgs) and then just 10.7oz of the pale extract? Just seems like quite a lot but obviously having never brewed I have no idea.

I'm sure this was answered already, but I'm not reading through 125 pages so...

What's the substitution for the Sorachi Ace? My lhbs does stock them, and I only order from Northern Brewer

I'm sure this was answered already, but I'm not reading through 125 pages so...

What's the substitution for the Sorachi Ace? My lhbs does stock them, and I only order from Northern Brewer

I really don't mean to be a dick here, but this has been answered ad nauseam in the last 20 pages alone. I'd be concerned that if you can't spend 30 minutes to read the thread, the 2 months to get this puppy to fruition is going to be a real challenge.

Slim spent a good amount of time figuring out the exact hops and grain bill. You can sub but it's not going to be the same beer. The hops, grain and yeast must remain as written.

Try ordering somewhere else -- brewandgrow.com has it all in stock. So does Amazon.

I really don't mean to be a dick here, but this has been answered ad nauseam in the last 20 pages alone. I'd be concerned that if you can't spend 30 minutes to read the thread, the 2 months to get this puppy to fruition is going to be a real challenge.

Slim spent a good amount of time figuring out the exact hops and grain bill. You can sub but it's not going to be the same beer. The hops, grain and yeast must remain as written.

Try ordering somewhere else -- brewandgrow.com has it all in stock. So does Amazon.

"I don't mean to be a dick" then you proceed to be one. I'm not going to look and pick through certain pages to hope I find my answer.

We get a lot of questions on this about the hops, their is no real sub for Sorachi Ace....my advice would be to find it, it's a vital part of the beer.

Slim, I just did a 10gal AG batch and missed the 158 mash temp, fairly significantly. Hit 153.5F and decided to leave it to see the results. The end product hit a FG of 1.008 and is not only fairly dry (which is fine and expected) but seems to have a much more "grainy" profile than in other batches I've done. Mash pH seemed ok at 5.5 (40C reading) and I batch sparged once so it's hard for me to believe somehow the graininess is somehow tannin extraction. The beer is only 4 weeks old. Have you seen any other examples of this? Does the graininess fade with time? Both malts Pale and White Wheat malts were from Great Western if anyone cares....

I'm sorry to hear that your beer didn't turn out....but 4 weeks is more than enough time for a Hef to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When I looked up the BJCP style for an American Wheat (i used wyeast 1010, not Hef IV on purpose) and examined it closer.... well my beer fits perfectly. The grainy aroma and flavor are all prominent in the profile. It just happens that I've little experience judging that sub category and didn't expect some of those flavors. I'd say you could easily use this recipie with 1010 and enter it in 6D with a very good score.... in liu of 20A (Fruit Beer).

FYI I also did a batch with Wyeast 2567 Kolsch fermented at 64F. It's amazing and a fruit explosion in your mouth. I prefer it over the 1010 and Hef versions.

As much as I know you want to preserve your original formulation Slim, your base recipie is really the perfect canvas for yeast experiments!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Getting ready to brew this for a second time. Last time me and SWMBO killed a keg in 5 days! Can't wait!!

I will be making mine again this weekend, and probably tonight. I use Wyeast Weihestephaner since Texas Brewing doesn't have white labs yeast. I was planning on just using one packet. Do I need to make a starter? I was thinking it's right at the level of being okay without one. If I do it tonight, I won't have the chance to make one.

I still have one bottle left from last years batch and will be opening it while making this batch. It is the perfect spring and summer beer.

I just made my first ever starter this morning in prepAration for the Lime Hefe brew tomorrow. I used yeast 1010 as my LHBS was out of white labs too. I plan on doing starters for all my brews going forward

Starters are the way to go. Even if you spin it for a short time. It kind of wakes them up a bit.

Next time you both do this recipe, get the hefe IV yeast. It is worth waiting an extra week to get it ordered.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Finally found myself some simply limeade. Like just now, I nearly **** myself in the store. Would you recommend an ale yeast for this or don't mess with a good thing and go for the hefe? Mouteka hops are going to be the struggle for this brew to find. But I think I know a place.

*scratch that, found the yeast :).

Will do MedicMang! This is a great beer with the 1010 I'm stoked to see the difference with the Hefe IV

I brewed the extract version of this today and can't wait to taste it on the tap! Although it was a simple brew, I look forward to the lime zest and limeade.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed the extract version of this today and can't wait to taste it on the tap! Although it was a simple brew, I look forward to the lime zest and limeade.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

You mind posting your results when they come in? It seems like there have been a lot of people brewing the extract recipe lately but I couldn't find any reviews.

has anyone every brewed this with the "Simply Lemon-Mango"?

I have a bottle of the Limeonade, as well as the lemon-mango...The Hefe is ready to rack into the secondary...

Thanks

Simply+Lemonade+Mango.jpg

had a few votes for the lemon mango from friends...I'll try the lime one another time...as well as a watermelon wheat.

El Hefe' lemon-mango is working away

I know it's 3 weeks away but please do let us know how this turns out. I just ordered enough to do two batches of this because judging by everyones responses I knew i'd want to make it again. But maybe i'll switch up the juice to the mango. Girlfriend loves mango.

We had a few people brew it with mango and the flavor never came out....my advice, would be to go buy mango extract (do not buy sugar free) and add some to the wort, this should boost the mango flavor and make it come out.

I did up an extract version of it, following the recipe closely. I am not a wheat beer fan but this comes out with such great flavor and richness I am now a homebrew wheat beer fan. The lime is fantastic, but next go-round I will probably bump the ABV up.

Glad you liked it....the extract version is very close to the all grain version, the only difference is in the subtle complexities that the all grain can deliver....however in my opinion it's still pretty darn good!

Hello All....I spend a lot of time creating these recipes, some start up breweries have even started to use my recipes, which is great....but please do me a favor, don't send me a message telling me you think the recipe would be better, without trying my recipe....once you have tried the recipe (which so many have enjoyed) then I would be more than happy to take your feedback...but to hear you know better without even trying the recipe is a slap in the face and extremely irritating....I place these recipes on here for free, I create them out of passion for the hobby, so please don't insult my hard work!

Hello All....I spend a lot of time creating these recipes, some start up breweries have even started to use my recipes, which is great....but please do me a favor, don't send me a message telling me you think the recipe would be better, without trying my recipe....once you have tried the recipe (which so many have enjoyed) then I would be more than happy to take your feedback...but to hear you know better without even trying the recipe is a slap in the face and extremely irritating....I place these recipes on here for free, I create them out of passion for the hobby, so please don't insult my hard work!

It's amusing that this post was 1200+ amongst the thousands of views and endless pages of comments and endless love of this beer especially in particular that people would send you messages without having even brewed it.

Even better this recipe is rated on some websites and many blog posts as one of the top ten home brews you should make while home brewing.

I haven't made it yet, but i'm waiting on ingredients. I made sure to purchase double of what I would need knowing this would be a repeat in my house hold haha. Absolutely can't wait to make this Slim!

It's amusing that this post was 1200+ amongst the thousands of views and endless pages of comments and endless love of this beer especially in particular that people would send you messages without having even brewed it.

Even better this recipe is rated on some websites and many blog posts as one of the top ten home brews you should make while home brewing.

I haven't made it yet, but i'm waiting on ingredients. I made sure to purchase double of what I would need knowing this would be a repeat in my house hold haha. Absolutely can't wait to make this Slim!

+1 on this, I'm just waiting on my Sorachi to be delivered :)

+1 on this, I'm just waiting on my Sorachi to be delivered :)

haha i'm waiting on the mouteka and the yeast. I'm hoping my yeast is still suitable by the time it arrives. It's shipped with Ice packs and hopefully with some sort of express shipping. Plus our weather is just brutal right now it's -30 outside haha so as long as it gets here before the weekend and the ice hasn't melted I should be fine. +6 C on the weekend. T shirt weather haha.

Just a quick update/question:

Brew day went all fine last Wednesday, within 6 hours I had decent bubbling in my airlock. I planned to switched to a blow off tube on Thursday however I was woken up at 4 in the morning to the sound of beer hissing out of fermenting bucket. There wasn't much but it definitely means my bucket isn't air tight. Slightly worried about the brew now; since I added a blow off tube I haven't had a single bubble come through. If I push down the lid I get them but even after adding lemonade there hasn't been anything. Do you think it'll be okay as it is or should I do something about it?

Brew day went all fine last Wednesday, within 6 hours I had decent bubbling in my airlock. I planned to switched to a blow off tube on Thursday however I was woken up at 4 in the morning to the sound of beer hissing out of fermenting bucket. There wasn't much but it definitely means my bucket isn't air tight. Slightly worried about the brew now; since I added a blow off tube I haven't had a single bubble come through. If I push down the lid I get them but even after adding lemonade there hasn't been anything. Do you think it'll be okay as it is or should I do something about it?

Sounds like your bucket is leaking out the lid instead of the blow off tube. Can you set something heavy on the lid to help seal it?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Home Brew mobile app

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. As long as nothing is able to get into your beer you should be fine, as for what to do when you go to add the limeade after the vigorous fermentation i'm not entirely sure what will work out best. Some of my first brews were done with loose fitting lids and they turned out completely fine. Just want to make sure bacteria isn't getting in. You should be fine just make sure you seal up your secondary when you transfer (if you're going to)

How will this age over 5 months or so?

If I brew it up within the next week to a month, will it be good by the time I serve it in August, or should I simply wait to brew it?

We had a few people brew it with mango and the flavor never came out....my advice, would be to go buy mango extract (do not buy sugar free) and add some to the wort, this should boost the mango flavor and make it come out.

I'll pick up some mango extract just in case...I'll sample before i keg and make the adjustments...

Thanks again

I actually made this last summer and added the simply limeade during the bottling stage. Had a 1 liter bottle explode. Roommate made me not allowed to brew in his house anymore after that (even though it exploded in a cleaning closet. Oh the irony). It was damn good from what I remember and I'm going to make it agian for sure. This time I'll keg it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Back