That's it, I'm going to the beer store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got done with work really early today and surfed this site for too long (as usual). Now I want beer, and the fridge is about empty. I'm gonna pick up some good stuff from that grocery store I mentioned a while back (Lowe's - a local place).

With any luck, I'll be more screwed up than a football bat when SWMBO gets home.

That's a shame.......having to go to the store for beer.

I just go to the garage and pour a pint. :D :mug:

Whenever I run out of homebrew, I find myself at Greene's(our local beer store) standing in front of all the beer going......I wonder if any of these taste worth a damn! I am usually dissapointed with anything that I have not already tried. So I usually get a Yeungling Black and Tan to get me through the tough times.

Here in SC, we are in the middle of a beer void. Nothing good is shipped here, so to get good beer we have to make it ourselves!

Yuri Im in the same boat as you. Got plenty fermenting right now, but nothing to drink. Im starting to eyeball the 10 gallons I have for a friends wedding :)

Actually I think a sixer of Hazed and Infused will start the night off right tonight. THen whatever else they have that sounds good at the time.

Im allready deemed an alcoholic at work since Im always brewing and "sampling" my beers in my off time, might as well show up tomorrow morning with a nice hangover to prove them right.

No shame in drinking one (or two) of the thousands of great micro brews out there.

Chimone said:
Im allready deemed an alcoholic at work since Im always brewing and "sampling" my beers in my off time, might as well show up tomorrow morning with a nice hangover to prove them right.

You're not an alcoholic. As a wise man once said, an alcoholic is a quitter who goes to meetings. You're a drunk.

ahh, good point

Im still coming in with a hangover tomorrow regardless. Tomorrow should be my day off, but I need to be here all day. Ill probably do 45 minutes with of work and surf HBT the rest of the day.

Gotta love gov't contracting

The results of my trip:

4688-happyfridge.JPG

That keg is recently kicked...I just haven't disconnected/cleaned it yet.

Having a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat now - and, as usual, I'm disappointed in Sam's "Brewmaster Collection." Too syrupy sweet.

The Chimay is chilling in an ice bucket - never had it, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I keep the Bud Light around for my swill slugging friends.

What is the beer on the left of the Shakespeare Stout?

I don't recognize it.

Great choices by the way!

That's Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome 2006-2007. I like their Stout, so I picked this one up.

I'm just happy the grocery store carries a few good beers!

Mmmm...Chimay Grand Reserve! Finally choked down the Cherry Wheat, and the Chimay was nice and cold. Wow! I was wondering whether I should try the red label 7% brew, tan label 8% brew, or just go for the gusto with the blue label 9% Grand Reserve. I made the right choice! Nice and roasty and malty, a touch of alcohol bite, and nothing but smoooooth flavor. I'll have to try the other two varieties at the store soon!

Chimone said:
Actually I think a sixer of Hazed and Infused will start the night off right tonight.

Is that any good? I have seen it at a store only blocks from my house.

Never had Hazed and Infused, but the Spaten Oktoberfest isn't all that good. Green bottle...skunky. Might be a good beer if it had been stored properly, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

Yuri_Rage said:
... but the Spaten Oktoberfest isn't all that good. ...

Man that's the beer I started brewing because of. I never had it from green bottle though, can't complain. Still can't figure what's so special about belgians... Go figure.

AdIn said:
Man that's the beer I started brewing because of. I never had it from green bottle though, can't complain. Still can't figure what's so special about belgians... Go figure.
I'd really like to taste that beer fresh from the brewery. If ever beer was "lightstruck," it's my six of the Spaten. The flavor has a lot of potential, but I can't get past the skunk.

Reverend JC said:
Is that any good? I have seen it at a store only blocks from my house.

Yea give it a shot. I really like the aroma on this beer.

Yuri_Rage said:
The results of my trip:

Yuri looking good, that going to last you through the weekend? :mug: Ive been noticing Anchor Steam popping up all over the place nowadays. Its everywhere.

Chimone said:
Ive been noticing Anchor Steam popping up all over the place nowadays. Its everywhere.

When I called them to complain about them switching to twist off bottles, the guy told me that they were doing that because they were getting into new markets and that's what people wanted. I was ticked off at first, but I've accepted it. I do have to say, though, I buy less of their products now. I just hope they don't water down their beer to appeal to the masses.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
When I called them to complain about them switching to twist off bottles, the guy told me that they were doing that because they were getting into new markets and that's what people wanted. I was ticked off at first, but I've accepted it. I do have to say, though, I buy less of their products now. I just hope they don't water down their beer to appeal to the masses.

i wonder if the new interest in Anchor Steam is becasue of the History Channel doing that small segment on them

God Emporer BillyBrew said:

I was pissed off when I found out those were twist-off bottles. It's good beer, but I prolly won't buy it if I can't reuse the bottles, not until I get a little bit bigger stash. Those are gorgeous bottles, I love how smooth they are (they're like a miniatured version of a full breast). Anyone ever seen crown-top bottles like that for sale anywhere?

I, too, wish that the Anchor bottles weren't twist-offs. I found a great use for that skunked Oktoberfest - beer bread! Currently enjoying the Shakespeare Stout, another first for me. Quite tasty!

I bought a sixer of Anchor Porter last night and was also a bit miffed at the twist-offs. Half of the reason I keep buying beer is I need bottles.

It took me a while to actually start throwing bottles in the trash when I am finished with them again. For the longest time, I would pour a beer, then rinse the bottles twice and put it back in the box.

Muahaha never again!!!! Well not for a while anyways. :mug:

I have one six-pack of Anchor bottles from before they switched over to twist offs. I recently had an Anchor Small Beer that was pull top, but it was a 22 oz. Same shape, only bigger.

Latest posts

Back