Raspbery Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwc5

Reaction score
Grain:
.5 lb. American crystal 60L
.5 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1.0 lb. Flaked wheat
Boil:
3 lb. Light dry malt extract
3.5 lb. Wheat extract
1 teaspoon Irish Moss
Hops:
1.5 oz. Hallertauer or Saaz (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast:
Wyeast American Wheat 1010

Im thinking about adding 4lbs of raspberrys to my secondary. What is the best way to add the raspberrys? Should I throw in 4lbs of frozen ones? This is my first attempt at a fruit brew. Any input would help

I just finished doing a chocolate raspberry wheat that I think came out quite nicely.

I added about 5 lbs partially frozen to the secondary. I just took the berries washed em then frze over night. Next morning thawed in the microwave so that it wouldnt affect my temperatures too much.

You need to do a third fermentation after the time on the berries is up. They add a lot of sugar that gets fermented out aongwith a lot of fibrous sediment.

If clarity is a concern for you, you should get a bottle of pectic enzyme solution. This will help prevent any of the berry juices from jellying and hazing up your beer.

I recently put 6 lbs frozen raspberries into secondary with 5 gallons wheat and MAN was that way too much. I'd seriously recommend cutting back to 2 lbs or so. We ended up cutting the 5 gallon batch with 10 more gallons of wheat beer to get it to where we wanted it.

I'd half what you're planning to do, but that's just me. It was so strong with raspberry that it was pink to red in color and tasted like Kool Aid. No joke.

I had that same problem with putting I think it was 2lbs of raspberries into a 2.5 gallon batch. Overpowering. It didn't help that the beer itself wasn't terribly strong, but that'll be the issue with a wheat as well - the fruit is likely to dominate.

It was a gorgeous color in the secondary for a while, almost a plum color, but that was not evident in the final product.

JimiGibbs said:
Do you need to do anything to the frozen fruit to sanitize it before adding to the secondary?
Thanks,
Jimi

I did nothing other than let them sit out and thaw for a little while. Sanitized the funnel and spoon that I used to push them into the carboy. Maybe a little risky but it did just fine. I've been drinking it for a while now.

I am going to add my raspberry to the secondary and was wondering if 1lb would be to little? I dont want a overpowering flavor, just some nice color and mellow flavor. Should I goto 2lb or stay at 1?

yea my raspberry turned into raspberry overload.. literally tastes more like a framboise than the raspberry wheat i had planned.. i did 2.5 gallons and added one can of oregon fruit...

its definately beautiful in the glass..nice and pinkish red.. but man .. all you get is raspberry in the flavor!

Back