keggle - weldless valve leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
got my top cut out and the hole drilled. I ordered this weldless fitting found here:

Bargain Fittings

The hole was a tad small so I filed it just enough for my weldless fitting to fit, but everything looked great and felt snug. Problem is, when I fill it up, it leaks (not a lot, but maybe 1 drop every 5 seconds?) It looks like it was leaking between the washer and nut (not between the oring and washer as I would have expected).

I tried teflon tape and I have the thing tightened as much as I can with my hand. Any other suggestions? It really looks and feels tight, so I'm actually surprised it is still leaking with the teflon tape. Not sure what else to try?

Grip the coupler inside the kettle with some locking vise grips or some large pliers.

Slowly tighten the locknut on the outside. Watch the drip and it should stop when you get just a bit more tension on the nut.

Typical installation for me is to wrap 4-5 wraps of white teflon tape on both sides of the nipple clockwise (facing the end of the nipple), and then add an o-ring, then a washer(s) and the coupler, slide it in the hole from the inside and add the second oring and then the locknut and then grip the coupler and slowly tighten down the locknut. Add the valve and fill with water and tighten the fitting set if its dripping a bit.

If that doesn't work check the o-ring(s) for cuts. Sometimes the hole will get a bur you don't see or the threads will nick them. Flexing the oring under a light will help you see any damage to them.

Let me know if I can help.

I only did one wrap of teflon tape and only hand tightened. Let me follow your suggestions this afternoon and see what happens. Thanks for the tips! I'll post back the results.

If you hand tightened it, that is probably what is going on. Teflon tape works better with at least 3 wraps also, and till thread a little harder than hand tight will allow.

Teflon tape, The correct sized wrench in the nut, not a cresent wrench, they will round off the nut crowns, and a "Strap wrench on the coupling. Keeps from putting burrs where little buggies can grow on the coupler.

Tighten that sucker down

You can get different sized strap wrenches at HD or Lowes. i use it always INSIDE my pots and future keggles.

Strap wrench would be best. It really does not take much grip to tighten these down usually.

Teflon tape, The correct sized wrench in the nut, not a cresent wrench, they will round off the nut crowns, and a "Strap wrench on the coupling. Keeps from putting burrs where little buggies can grow on the coupler.

Tighten that sucker down

You can get different sized strap wrenches at HD or Lowes. i use it always INSIDE my pots and future keggles.

Back