oxygen absorbing caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
Has anyone used oxygen absorbing caps? I rarely bottle, but I'm getting ready to bottle a batch of imperial stout that will likely age for up to a couple of years. Are they worth it? I've never used them before.

One thing I've thought of is that if there is some oxygen in the bottle the yeast left in suspension will consume it. Not sure if that's true, but I'm wondering.

Oxygen absorbing caps are not necessary if you are using priming sugar to carbonate your beer in the bottles. Any oxygen remaining in the bottles after capping will be used up by the yeast when they re-awaken to ferment the priming sugar.

If you are using a counter pressure bottle filler or a beer gun to bottle beer that has been force carbed in a keg, and plan on having them sitting around for awhile, like say, for shipping to a competition or something, or long term storage, then the oxygen absorbing caps might be a good idea.

John

Back