Cooler lid fly sparging.regulating flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_Cote

Reaction score
So I built a prototype sprinkling manifold using 1/2" cpvc. The idea is that it's supposed to get hooked on to the inside of the cooler top; from my HLT, water should then flow through the top of the cooler down to my manifold and sprinkle the mash. It looks nice but I'm having a hard time getting the water to flow evenly so that the mash gets sprinkled in a uniform fashion. The holes closer to my water input seem to be draining first, leaving not much water to go around to the other manifold arms. I'm debating whether to start again and drill fewer holes or try something else. Has anybody tried a similar design with success?

Different sized hole !

really small ones at the point where the liquid enters the cpvc, and a pump that will fill the tubing

these are just thoughts,
last year I spent several hours in the chat room with Revvy bouncing an idea like this back and forth !

Don't for get the chat !
it is there for the Quick right now answer !!!

-Jason

How big are the holes in the cpvc? This is one thought I had, because I am planning something similar, (and this would require building a new cpvc sparge arm, maybe you don't want to). I was thinking about that very thing too. I thought if the holes were drilled small enough, it would decrease the rate at which the water could leave the sparge arm and cause the water to back up into the rest of the sparge arm and all holes would then empty equally. I don't know enough about the physics at play here but that was one of my thoughts. Maybe someone who knows more can help us both. Good Luck:D

I'm planning on making one too.
My thought was to put the holes on the sides of the pipe
so the water would have to level out before it exits the holes.

as i learned making my steam manifold start out with as few holes as you think will work and work up from there its easy to add a pain to get rid of them.

Back