Another Stuck Ferment thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SegmentedMonkey

Reaction score
I've had a cyser on since just before christmas, and right after new years, after reading a bunch of recipes I decided to up my honey content, so I added another few pounds to my 5 gal batch already underway. Well, since then, the SG has hardly moved at all (1.033 after addition, 1.029 today). The fermenter was still bubbling during this time, not as vigorously as it had been at first, but bubbling nonetheless.

Now, to possibly answer my own question, it DID get very cold in my storage room where my brews sit (54 degrees for a few weeks). Is this likely to have done any permanent damage, or should the process pick up again now that I've moved the whole process to a different, warmer room?

Try giving it a swirl or two, move it to a warmer location & you might add more yeast nutrient/energizer/DAP, any you added at the beginning of the ferment may have been all used up by now. Mix your nutrient/etc with water before adding, or it could foam up on you real fast. I'll bet it'll start right up after a day or so, provided the ABV hasn't exceeded the yeast tolerance. Regards, GF.

Getting that cold, depending on the yeast used, can certainly slow the yeast down significantly. If you have already put it in a warmer environment, just keep an eye on it, as it will probably pick right back up.

There are several possible reasons why this batch is stalled. The 54 deg room temp. is #1 on my list. Others depend on information not provided (there's an FAQ about what should be included in a post like this...) ;)

I guess I wasn't really asking what CAUSED the stuck ferment, as I kind of knew that it was probably because it had darn near froze solid. :)

I was more concerned with whether or not it would pick back up when rewarmed, or if I'd have to repitch. I did take the advice to add another batch of nutrient in water, as I'd planned on doing that at this point in the secondary anyway.

Thanks for the responses!

Give it a few days to see if it picks back up, otherwise look into restarting a stuck fermentation.

Back