California lager yeast top fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I've never used this yeast and my basement is in the high 50s right now - is this yeast top or bottom fermenting? Since its listed under lager yeast on wyeast website. My beer isn't showing any krasen and it usually will at this point. I'm not worried just wondering if I should warn it up upstairs

Wyeast 2112 is not recomended for cold fermentation, warm it up, 58-68F. Its used alot for California Commons (Steam beer), Otherwise you can check the gravity to see if its fermenting.

I use this strain a lot and I start fermentation at 58F, once it slows I ramp it up to 62 over a few days and I've never had a problem with it attenuating properly. I get a super nice clean flavored Steam beer very similar to Anchor Steam.

IMO, if you go over 65 you can start to get some funky flavors, not necessarily off, but not desirable to my tastes.

Thanks is this a top fermenting yeast? Should there be krausen in top of the beer? I'm not a lager brewer.

Thanks is this a top fermenting yeast? Should there be krausen in top of the beer? I'm not a lager brewer.

Every brew is different, sometimes krausen, sometimes not, I wouldn't expect much krausen at that temperature with that yeast. Use your hydrometer.

shoreman said:

All lager yeast are bottom fermenting but that does not mean they will not produce krausen and depending on all factors involved every beer will ferment differently.

duboman said:
All lager yeast are bottom fermenting but that does not mean they will not produce krausen and depending on all factors involved every beer will ferment differently.

Thanks I'll sit tight with it.

shoreman said:
Thanks I'll sit tight with it.

If you have any concerns then take a gravity reading. Gravity will always tell you what you may not see;)

duboman said:
If you have any concerns then take a gravity reading. Gravity will always tell you what you may not see;)

I just put in the fermenter yesterday at 4pm

The temperature of the fermenting beer may be several degrees above room temperature so if the air is 58 F then your beer may be several degrees above that which could be ideal. Let us (or just me) know how this turns out. I would like to give this yeast a try someday.

Update on this one - still no activity and I pitched on Saturday - took a gravity reading and it's stuck at 1.030 (which is where it started) I thought with that small a beer I wouldn't need a starter.

The beer is at 55 degrees

2 options - bring it up upstairs until it starts or get a Chico dry yeast tomorrow and pitch?

Thoughts?

Or I have safale t58 which would turn this into a small Belgian IPA

Leaning towards the T58 it may go well with all the fuggles I've got going on and put upstairs in the heated house

Back