Dried mango wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro_Pereyra

Reaction score
Ok, so I found an old notebook of mine, and in it I found my old recipe for dried mango wine, so I decided to post it here, in case anybody was interested.

(X) packs of dried mangoes (see below for details)
Sugar to reach intended O.G.
5 gallons water.
2 1/2 Tbs Acid blend.
1 1/2 Tbs yeast nutrient.
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzime.
1 tsp Tannin.
1 Montrachet yeast.
1 Campden tablet. (Edit: 1 Campden tablet per gallon.)

I used the dried mango packs available at Wal Mart. I used 5 packs per gallon of water, which gave a full bodied, very fruity wine. If you want a lighter wine, you can adjust the number of packs to your preference.
Same with he O.G. I got it up to 1.100, which gave me 13% ABV. Montrachet yeast is quite capable to tolerate higher alcohol concentrations than that. Use as much sugar as you need to reach your intended O.G.

Dice the mangoes. Boil about 2 gallons of water, and pour over the diced mangoes (put them in a bag, and your life will be much easier). Cover and allow to cool. Add pectic enzime, acid blend, tannin, yeast nutrient, and the rest of the water.
Take an O.G reading. Add sugar until you reach your desired O.G.
Add the crushed Campden tablets, mix, cover, and let rest for 24 Hrs.
After the 24 Hrs, pitch the yeast, cover the mouth of the fermenter with a piece of fabric.
Stir the pulp 2-3 times a day. When S.G.=1.020 (about 5 days), take pulp off. Allow to settle, rack and fit airlock.
The wine should be crystal clear after about 2 weeks. After a month in secondary, it will be dry as a bone.
Now you can bottle it dry, or you can either kill the yeast with potassium sorbate and a crushed Campden tablet, and then add sugar or honey to taste, or add an artificial sweetener (without killing the yeast) and add some priming sugar. Whatever you like.
Bottle, store, and forget about it for at least a year.

This wine didn't win any contest, but everyone that tasted it was very happy with it. I mean...VERY happy...:drunk::drunk:

I'm not making it right now. I made it about 4 years ago. It's really the best mango wine I've ever tried.
And using dried fruit lets you get a consistent outcome, batch after batch, without needing a friend with a mango tree...:mug:

Ill have to try this as mango is one of my favorite fruits.

My mom is from hawaii and had mango, macadamia nuts, coffee beans, coconut, rose apple, pineapple, guava, lemon, orange, lychee and fig in their yard.

Man I wish I could afford to live there:mug:

Man I wish I could afford to live there:mug:

Why can't you? Is it too expensive?
I would LOOOOVE to move to Hawaii...:rockin:

Anyways, try it, you're gonna love it.
I want to try making some with less (or no) sugar, and carbonating it, but my Wal Mart branch doesn't carry dried mangoes anymore...:(

Man its very expensive to live there. 16 years ago is when I was last there and you couldnt go into mcdonalds and get a hamburger and fries for under $5. they have to import alot.

Plus Im married w/kids now. 8-10 years ago hmmm.........paradise.

Shhhh...damn...! :eek: :(

It would've been nice to go live in a place like that...
Can you imagine, making your brew with fresh fruit, just off the plant?:drunk:

we have a mango tree & fruit every-where! need recipe for making wine from fresh pulp, we have the sweetest fruit around in So. Fl. & honey from our hive's ;p after mango season will try to make some mead :D thanks

I hate to be thread necromancer, but a sister is sending me 10# of dried mango. (I guess somebody turned allergic)

Anybody got a clue as to how many ounces there were per bag from Wal-Mart? 4oz? 8oz?

Or maybe the yield for drying mangos?

I did find a raisin jack recipe that used 3# of that dried fruit per gallon.

The sun sweet yellow bag, value pack dried mango is 8oz. Uses sulfur dioxide as a preservative.

Back