beer smith OG estimate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
My last 3 brews have been from the book brewing classic styles. Whenever I put all of the ingredients into beer smith the OG that it estimates is usualy about 10 points higher than the OG in the book. This also is around the OG i get when I actually brew the batch. Why would the estimated OG in the book be different from the OG in beer smith?

I believe the recipes in the book are formulated for 6 gallons in the kettle, 5.5 into the fermenter, and 5 gal into bottles/keg

Well just make sure you enter the batch size as 5.5....beersmith doesn't care what you put in your fermenter...just what you have in the pot when the boil is over. I've never read the book so, what effeciency are the recepies quoted as? I've forgot to change that in beersmith several times....

The Brewing Classic Styles and Jamil Show ( including Can You Brew It ) are for 6 gallons at the end of boil, 5.5 in the fermentor, and then 5 in the keg. Efficiency is 70%.

I usually hit the gravity numbers in Beersmith, but the IBU's ( using Rager ) are off sometimes. Most of the time I just say the heck with it.

All of that information and more is in the book in the section "Brewing These Recipes." Page 39.

I have noticed the same thing but if you follow the recipe you will get close enough. I found that following the Beersmith recipe will hit dead on every time, so just adjust the values a little bit to get to the gravity to match the book. I am sure JZ and JP won't be offended.

Back