Man I hate people who don't register and still show up to vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They make the line go by so slow. Then they yell at the poll worker who is probably a volunteer, like they can change voting laws.
Apparantly in south central phoenix people think you can show up to vote and register to vote in the same place. People were literally astonished to hear you can't register to vote on voting day.

They make the line go by so slow. Then they yell at the poll worker who is probably a volunteer, like they can change voting laws.
Apparantly in south central phoenix people think you can show up to vote and register to vote in the same place. People were literally astonished to hear you can't register to vote on voting day.

Having to register beforehand is a good way to weed out the wankers who do not pay enough attention to the system, and therefore do not deserve to be heard.

I agree. I despise people who are ignorant of the law and obviously were not intending to vote with any sort of intelligence because they would have known before hand.

How the hell can you NOT be registered to vote anyways? In MD you register when you renew your driver's license, so it's easy as hell. Otherwise just a quick form mailed to the county and you're good to go. My problem is not that I'm not registered, is that some years I don't remember where I'm registered because I moved and don't remember to fill out the voter registration in my new town as fast as I should.

I am very glad that these people can't vote --- nothing worse than an ignorant voter.

There was a woman in line this a.m. at my polling place who was shocked to find out she couldn't vote without registering for it first.:rolleyes:

She held up the line a solid 5 minutes with her whining. I half expected one of the teamsters outside to come in and physically remove her.

There was a woman in line this a.m. at my polling place who was shocked to find out she couldn't vote without registering for it first.:rolleyes:

She held up the line a solid 5 minutes with her whining. I half expected one of the teamsters outside to come in and physically remove her.

Should have been her "fellow Americans" that removed her. I have no problem with vigilante justice in this instance.

Or at least a hundred people yelling at her calling her stupid and telling her to GTFO! That would have shamed her out of the building.

That's not the case in MN, you can show up to the polls with your driver's license and a recent utility bill and it takes about 10 sec to register. So if someone moved from a state where you can register at the polls, I can see why they would be confused that they have to register ahead of time.

I don't understand why the voting laws are so different from state to state. For example, why can you vote early in 32 states and not in the other 18?

I've never worked an election, I really don't think I'd have the patience. I've done registration for several different organizations, though and have had my share of stupidity. "No, you can't get a refund after you've spent five hours in Hospitality stuffing your face & getting projectile -vomiting drunk at the open bar."

On the other hand, Oregon is 100% voting by mail, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Count the votes & party!

Slightly off topic, but still relevant:- When I gained my citizenship earlier this year, at the end of the ceremony they made it quite clear in their speeches etc. just how important the right to vote was. They handed out all the info necessary to register to vote. Everyone that I spoke to (That spoke English) did not even need the lecture. They were already pumped up at the idea of having their say. Now, I understand some people's reactions to new immigrants having their vote might be in the negative, but really, you had to be there to see how much it meant to us, and how serious an issue it was. They put to shame some of the natural born citizens who are just too lazy to even care about understanding their own electoral system.

Have to agree with you Gnome. There have been many times during political discussions that I've wished that everyone should be required to take the citizenship exam. Unfortunately, we have a warm body system here.

Have to agree with you Gnome. There have been many times during political discussions that I've wished that everyone should be required to take the citizenship exam. Unfortunately, we have a warm body system here.

My brother in law is a proponent of this idea. I don't know if he came up with it or not, but I like it:

Have a test at the voting booth. Right there in the booth, with the answers recoded electronically and associated with the vote. 10 questions, T/F and MC. Could be basic civics, could be specific to the election, could be a combination, but everyone gets the same test. Whatever score you get on the test, your vote is multiplied by it. Get 100%? Your vote counts 100%. Get 50%, well guess what? Your vote counts for half a vote. Study up next time. You have 4 years.

Idaho allows you to register at the polls by providing proof of residence in the precinct. They weed-out those people into a different line.

For some reason, at my polling place, the A-L line is always 10x longer than M-Z. Thankfully, my name begins with an "R"!

Yay to mail in voting!! :ban:
I dropped off my ballot last week.
Now I'll just sit back and watch the results with a new Czech Pils I have on tap.:mug:

I don't have citizenship so I can't vote. I just consider myself lucky they let me pay taxes. :D

I could mail-in back to the UK but that place can go screw itself. :rockin:

One more group of people that should be sterilzed.

dont worry when i become dictator everyone on this site will be safe

One of the main reasons I got my citizenship was so I could vote. It's that whole sense of entitlement thing. When you have to work for something you tend to appreciate it more. ;)

I really do think there should be some requirements to vote, and I also like the idea of mail in voting, the voting machines where I was this morning were really screwing up some people's votes. A couple people only got to vote for presidential/congress and then it just cast that ballot and they were done, couldn't vote on anything else, they were totally screwed out of voting for any offices and who knows if the presidential vote even worked.

One of the main reasons I got my citizenship was so I could vote. It's that whole sense of entitlement thing. When you have to work for something you tend to appreciate it more. ;)

Agreed. I actually hurried up my citizenship process specifically for this election. One vote don't mean diddly squat, but I hated the sense of disenfranchisement in the last election. Even if I cast the wrong vote and I live to regret it, VOTING ROCKS!!:rockin:

I'll do you one better. I hate it when you are in ANY line and the person at the front of the line fails to be prepared to do what ever transaction is required.

Wait, I thought you were a yank. You mean you're just another durned fur'ner???

I'll do you one better. I hate it when you are in ANY line and the person at the front of the line fails to be prepared to do what ever transaction is required.

Amen brother. If you fly into the US on a visa (which I have had to do) and don't fill in the card properly for immigration some of the staff make everyone else wait in line while you fill it out correctly. I suppose it's an object lesson for the individual but if you just got off the third 747 to land in the last 15 minutes it's a long feckin' line. :(

I've not really been following but I guessed over a months ago it'd be Obama.
I don't know what the bookies are offering.

No TV so I catch about 2 minutes a day of it.

I've not really been following but I guessed over a months ago it'd be Obama.
I don't know what the bookies are offering.

No TV so I catch about 2 minutes a day of it.

I just started a new thread for keeping up on the local situations for ya. :)

In WI you can register at your poll with no photo ID and nothing more than someone else in the room who says they know you. It is basically like breaking into fort Knox :rolleyes:

I am astounded we have voter fraud every election, I just don't understand it....

The penalties for voter fraud are pretty stiff... One to two years of prison. Hardly worth it since you'd have to do it alot to make any kind of difference.

Which is why it is rarely an issue.

The penalties for voter fraud are pretty stiff... One to two years of prison. Hardly worth it since you'd have to do it alot to make any kind of difference.

Which is why it is rarely an issue.

I wish that were true. While the penalties are stiff, in WI it is near impossible to find out who has committed fraud. For example, in the last election, in Milwaukee alone, 2000 more votes were cast than registered voters. The police put together a special unit to investigate everything and that unit found that there were thousands of illegal votes cast... and what has the government done about it............ still waiting

It is every citizens right to vote and have there voice heard through that vote. The incompetence of my states government to ensure that is the case makes me sick.

I'm really PISSED. I went to vote and they told me I wasn't registered, so no vote for me.

However, I voted there the last presidential election. So WTF.

BAHHHHH

I'm really PISSED. I went to vote and they told me I wasn't registered, so no vote for me.

However, I voted there the last presidential election. So WTF.

BAHHHHH

And how about all those annoying people in the line behind you? Yelling, calling you names, trying to sterilize you..... :fro:

Slightly off topic, but still relevant:- When I gained my citizenship earlier this year, at the end of the ceremony they made it quite clear in their speeches etc. just how important the right to vote was. They handed out all the info necessary to register to vote. Everyone that I spoke to (That spoke English) did not even need the lecture. They were already pumped up at the idea of having their say. Now, I understand some people's reactions to new immigrants having their vote might be in the negative, but really, you had to be there to see how much it meant to us, and how serious an issue it was. They put to shame some of the natural born citizens who are just too lazy to even care about understanding their own electoral system.

Sadly, they probably know a lot more of this country's history than quite a lot of those born here, too.

Back