Capper choice: Agata vs. Colonna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelseasick

Reaction score
My kids want to buy me a new capper. Super Agaga or Colonna Bench Capper? What do I tell them and why?:drunk:

My kids want to buy me a new capper. Super Agaga or Colonna Bench Capper? What do I tell them and why?:drunk:

I have an agata, a super agata, and a wing capper. I used the super agata for the first time saturday and really enjoyed the self-adjusting aspect.

I'm surprised BigKahuna hasn't chimed in here about his colonna capper;)

Seriously, though, because of his rave reviews of the colonna, I got one as well for Father's day. I got the capper/corker version vs. the capper only. Having never used the super agata, I can't comment on it, but the colonna is a good capper. Makes bottling day go a little quicker and easier than using the wing capper. It may be plastic, but it is very sturdy and well built. I'd be more concerned about the lightweight metal of the agata breaking before this thing. It has slots to put the base plate in to adjust the height and it is quick and easy as it doesn't require you to be exact. My only complaints about it is it puts a circular dent in the cap and the capped bottles kind of stick in the bell, but a little rocking back and fourth after capping pops it right out. I've capped screw-offs without a hitch. I found mine for $50 plus tax and shipping for a total of $65 to my door. That put it at about $25 more than the cheapest I could find the super agata, but it does cork (and I plan on making wine in the future, so I'm covered there) and it has other sized bells in case you come across some foreign bottles. Would I get it again? sure. I also think I would have been happy with the super agata, but I'll never know. hope this helps!

I'm surprised BigKahuna hasn't chimed in here about his colonna capper;)
DUDE...I'm On it.
Corked 4 bottles of test Cyser last night, and getting ready to cap 5 gallons of watermelon whit tonight....in Bud Light bottles...that I got FREE from a wedding reception.
wanna see a picture???

Come On...>I know you do.....

021.jpg

I have a Super Agata and agree it is great use. The vertical height adjustment can be done on the fly with one hand as you are capping, so if you're bottling with several different height bottles, there's no need to stop and change the setup. I usually have several heights of 12 ouncers as well as a few 22's when I bottle. The pics of the Colonna look to me that it was perhaps optimized for corking? Anyway the height adjustment looks to be more time consuming.

+1 on the Super Agata. I have bottled thousands with mine, never a hiccup. I did modify it by mounting mine on a wooden base with rubber feet so now it doesn't slide around much in use.

GT

Back