Plastic vs glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartanChef

Reaction score
I've recently decided that glass carboys are fragile. (Go figure)

I was known all through school for breaking every bit of glass lab equipment I touched and after my second incident with a broken glass carboy I think I want to switch to plastic to avoid costly equipment replacements in the future.

Any thoughts on plastic vs glass carboys? Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to one over the other?

fNKoW.jpg

I hope you weren't hurt when that broke! I use Better Bottle plastic carboys and love them! I've heard some say that for long term aging, i.e., several months to a year or more, that glass is preferable to plastic. But for the beers I usually make the Better Bottles work great. Durable and easy to move around.

Plastics better bottles are very convenient. Easier cleaning as well (no need for carboy brush). Aging has not been a problem. Have bulk aged wine for 2+ years with no trouble.
Downside is you can't vacuum rack and when moving them you want to remove airlock first as sides flex when lifted.

BrewCraft 8.5 gal buckets are my primary of choice... and relatively inexpensive. If aging, I'll use glass.

Advantages to glass: highly impermeable to oxygen, can be cleaned with a wide variety of very strong cleaning products, relatively inexpensive, not easily scratched (on the inside) in normal use and cleaning, non-porous, does not release chemicals into the beer.
Disadvantages to glass: heavy, fragile, does not withstand thermal shocks well

Back