Dry Hopping ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Im going to dry hop with some pellet hops. Should I use a hop bag or not?

thenatibrewer said:
i say no, just use a muslim bag (sanitized) at the end of your racking cane when you rack!!!! good luck.

getting an entire muslim in your fermenter may be a bit difficult. I hear tibetan bhudists are more flexible so you may have better luck that way... ;)

krispy d said:
getting an entire muslim in your fermenter may be a bit difficult. I hear tibetan bhudists are more flexible so you may have better luck that way... ;)

ahahha. SOmeone called me out on that early on when I was calling Muslin bags Muslim bags.

I propose you let them free float to get better flavors and offer the following exhibit:

1-gallon paint strainers from Lowes:

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

I use muslin (muslim?!?) bags to dry hop with about an half ounce of pellets into the secondary with the stings sticking out under the bubbler cork. When it comes time to bottle, I just pull the bag up through the neck of the carboy sqeeeeeeezzzing the hops at the same time and getting lots of liquid to flavor the beer. Beware: anything more than half an ounce of pellets and I don't think I could get it through the neck. Works great. I've stuffed whole hops into the secondary too. Make a hellava mess but works fine too...Great taste. Less filling.

Back