Need advice for keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgray58

Reaction score
Gradually getting my gear together to do a full 5 gallon boil of extract in a DIY keggle. Keg in hand and top cut. Now what? I want to add a spigot but not sure how high or what I need to do for the inside pickup. I plan to go weldless to keep it DIY. Do I need a thermometer or sight gage? I may do what many others do and progress to all grain and willing to build the keggle for future expansion. If it matters, I will be using a DIY immersion coil chiller. Do I need to be consider potential contact interference between the coils and any piping added to the inside of the keggle? Any advice and pics will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The first upgrade I would make is a ball valve and bulkhead assembly w/pickup tube. Bargainfittings.com is a site sponsor, their site is really easy to navigate, and they have everything you want for conversions.

If your going to be using it as an HLT a sight guage and thermometer are good idea's too.

Looks like bargainfittings.com is the way to go.

SS keg weldless bulkhead kit with 2 piece valve & SS barb - $32
kegwedlesskit-500x500.jpg

Copper Drain Tube Assy - $12.99
diptube3-500x500.jpg

Looking at the cost to add either a thermometer and/or sight gage, I am figuring I can pass for now being as I am just boiling in this keggle.

+123K for bargainfittings.com, i called them and got great answers to my questions as well as good prices and super fast shipping. i've converted 3 kegs not to an HLT, MLT and BK and have been super happy.

If i were you, i'd go with the combination sight glass and thermometer. it's 1 less hole to drill.

think about placing the ball valve and sight glass away from the "vents" in the bottom of the keg, as they produce heat. be mindful of the way the handle on the ball valve works and where you place the thermo/sight glass based on that. put them both as low as you can. get a dip tube for the inside :)

This is what I did:

img0090wb.jpg

img0091l.jpg

Here are my welds:

img0082s.jpg

img0089cx.jpg

The center of my drill holes were about 3 1/4" - 3 3/8" away from each other. I welded the fittings so that they both were facing the same way, and they were flush with each other. Made for a perfect setup.

Also, like Slak said...
think about placing the ball valve and sight glass away from the "vents" in the bottom of the keg, as they produce heat. be mindful of the way the handle on the ball valve works and where you place the thermo/sight glass based on that. put them both as low as you can. get a dip tube for the inside

Trust me, it will make a difference. You don't want these fitting getting burnt up. Also, make sure you install your ball valve on the left.

Back