Bottling from an Un-Carbed Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I would like to bottle and keep a 12 pack of each batch I brew. My idea was to rack to the keg, turn on weak gas, fill the bottles from the sanitized tap, drop in some carbonation tabs, and then cap them up.

Then, I'll just force carb my keg as usual...how does that sound to you?

Bueller? In the case of a taxpayer other than a corporation, the amount allowed as a deduction under this chapter for investment interest for any taxable year shall not exceed the net investment income of the taxpayer for the taxable year.

I'm curious as well, because I was just talking about the same thing as well last night. If done with a beer gun, I think it might work. I don't have anything ready, but my next batch I may try it...

I would like to bottle and keep a 12 pack of each batch I brew. My idea was to rack to the keg, turn on weak gas, fill the bottles from the sanitized tap, drop in some carbonation tabs, and then cap them up.

Then, I'll just force carb my keg as usual...how does that sound to you?

It'll work, no beer gun necessary (beer guns are to keep in carbonation without foaming, you have none to keep), it'll just take an extra amount per oz of CO2 to carb the beer in the keg due to additional headspace. Make sure to purge well.

I'm curious as well, because I was just talking about the same thing as well last night. If done with a beer gun, I think it might work. I don't have anything ready, but my next batch I may try it...

I don't see any reason to use a beer gun. The beer will not be carbonated. The keg will just be hooked to the CO2 to force it through the beer line and out the tap straight into the bottle. The beer gun is used when your beer is already carbonated and you need the carbonation to stay in solution. In my proposed method, the carb tabs would do the carbing.

It'll work, no beer gun necessary (beer guns are to keep in carbonation without foaming, you have none to keep), it'll just take an extra amount per oz of CO2 to carb the beer in the keg due to additional headspace. Make sure to purge well.

Thanks. I dig your dog.

I'm curious what benefit this gives you over carbing in the keg, then filling the bottles? I suppose it's slightly easier since you don't have to worry about the pressure and foaming, but its marginal.

With carbing then bottling, you avoid sediment and also get the exact carbonation you want.

I'm curious what benefit this gives you over carbing in the keg, then filling the bottles? I suppose it's slightly easier since you don't have to worry about the pressure and foaming, but its marginal.

With carbing then bottling, you avoid sediment and also get the exact carbonation you want.

The process is much more involved if the keg is already carbed, and beer guns aren't cheap and they are a PITA. I believe the comments regarding "avoiding sediment and exact carbonation" are without substantial merit.

The OP's Method:
Pros:
- Initial cost is lowered.
- Bottle carbing certain beers can be beneficial (ie Hefeweizens)
- Using Counter pressure can seem daunting to the uninitiated, and the process takes longer than adding drops.

Cons:
- Carbing tabs/drops are more money than CO2
- You dump out the bottom of the bottle, or eat the yeast.
- Carbonation is less exact, unless you are using measured priming sugar.
- May have to add yeast beforehand if the beer has been aged or lagered.

The process is much more involved if the keg is already carbed, and beer guns aren't cheap and they are a PITA. I believe the comments regarding "avoiding sediment and exact carbonation" are without substantial merit.

I have the B3 counter pressure filler and I wouldn't consider it a PITA at all, they aren't cheap but I would hate to see that cost per pint drop on you.

As for the merit of having sediment free bottles and controlling carbonation, I have to think you will change your mind on this issue. These are two of the three reasons people keg in the first place.

Personally I like to brew about 6 gallons at a time. I use Brewsmith to upscale recipe.

then at bottling/keging time, I rack off a few bottles usually 6- 8 bottles then add carb drops and cap them off as the keg fills
That way I still keep 5 gallons in keg and have few bottles to compare at a later stage

You method will work just fine. Just use 2-3PSI to push it through without splashing. That is key. AS far as a Counter pressure filler. You don't need a Beergun. I built one off BM's thread here for like $2

Personally I like to brew about 6 gallons at a time. I use Brewsmith to upscale recipe.

then at bottling/keging time, I rack off a few bottles usually 6- 8 bottles then add carb drops and cap them off as the keg fills
That way I still keep 5 gallons in keg and have few bottles to compare at a later stage

Yeah...that is exactly what I want to do as far as having a few bottled. Do you just auto-siphon straight to the bottle?

Beer Guns are unnecessary. I've bottled whole kegs without it. How?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

And I completely disagree with you about sediment and exact carbonation. It is nearly impossible to get the exact volumes you want with a carb tab or sugar unless you have a VERY accurate scale and a lot of free time. Regarding sediment, maybe it doesn't bother you, but it is in bottle carbed beer and is not in keg carbed beer.

I have a few bottles I keg carbed over a year ago and they are clear, sediment free, and accurately carbed.

Beer Guns are unnecessary. I've bottled whole kegs without it. How?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

And I completely disagree with you about sediment and exact carbonation. It is nearly impossible to get the exact volumes you want with a carb tab or sugar unless you have a VERY accurate scale and a lot of free time. Regarding sediment, maybe it doesn't bother you, but it is in bottle carbed beer and is not in keg carbed beer.

I have a few bottles I keg carbed over a year ago and they are clear, sediment free, and accurately carbed.

Yeah. I made one tonight and bottled a sixer. It was incredibly easy. The jury is out on the sediment & carbonation...I don't know what I am talking about...I've never bottled before.

Awesome, glad to hear it worked for you. The BMBF (BierMuncher Bottle Filler) is one of the best things I've discovered on this board... well, that and learning how to brew beer.

Back