What the hell's an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the club! Read this while I was drinking Red Hook's Longhammer IPA.... delish!

But like the rest, I must know what you drank to induct you to the HHA (Hop-Heads Association)?

Just found out. Damn you guys... Think I just found my new favorite beer! :fro:

Oh, yeah. Pretty soon, you'll be wearing a hophead t-shirt, and start being known as an IPA snob.

Here I am, talking about IPAs, of course, with a famous brewer:

DSCF0185.JPG

Trust me, once you become a hophead, there is no hope for you. Even my husband has starting appreciating highly hopped beers, and we're growing hops to help keep up with demand.

CONGRATS, might I recommend you try as many IPA's as possible, get to know what you like, and try to brew it!:tank:

Welcome to the club! Read this while I was drinking Red Hook's Longhammer IPA.... delish!

But like the rest, I must know what you drank to induct you to the HHA (Hop-Heads Association)?

I'm drinking a longhammer too! You really can't beat it for the money.

You hopheads have to try the ipa's that lagunitas makes, they are really outstanding.

Grats on the new discovery! One of my favorite past times is going my local beer snob haven and mixing a six pack of different IPAs. I just recently discovered Victory's Hop Wallop IPA - it's fantastic!

You hopheads have to try the ipa's that lagunitas makes, they are really outstanding.

First of all, it's great to get the backup for the Longhammer love!

Secondly Mr. Nice Guy, Lagunitas IPA is fantastic. My LHBS carries tons of stuff you can't find anywhere else in the area and I often end up leaving with grain, hops and a delicious treat ^_^

So here's what you absolutely have to do next: find yourself some Bell's Two-Hearted ale, some Bell's Hopslam, some Founder's Double Trouble. Report back with your findings. :)

Wow. Sweetwater IPA is fantastic. Great grapefruit flavor. Super beer! I'm planning to try to find some on my way to Orlando next weekend!

This is a great time to find you like IPA's. I don't know if there has ever been a better selection available to sample at the commercial level.

Welcome welcome.

For some, life begins at 50....

50 IBU's
and it just gets better from there.

Sweetwater is a four cylinder IPA. Soon, you'll be downing SN Torpedoes like they're lemonade. Then, just wait until you get your hands on a Pliny or Ruination, your taste buds will never be the same.

Sweetwater is a four cylinder IPA. Soon, you'll be downing SN Torpedoes like they're lemonade. Then, just wait until you get your hands on a Pliny or Ruination, your taste buds will never be the same.

Ruination may be the most aptly named beer in existence.

Oh, yeah. Pretty soon, you'll be wearing a hophead t-shirt, and start being known as an IPA snob.

Here I am, talking about IPAs, of course, with a famous brewer:

DSCF0185.JPG

Trust me, once you become a hophead, there is no hope for you. Even my husband has starting appreciating highly hopped beers, and we're growing hops to help keep up with demand.

Aren't you the show off!

Glad to hear about your hop discovery. I cant get enough of them. I just bought some Left Hand Brewery Warrior IPA and going to try Tremens Delirium for the first time this weekend. Cant wait!!

Delirium Tremens is nothing like an IPA but I promise you you'll thoroughly enjoy it. :)

Glad to hear about your hop discovery. I cant get enough of them. I just bought some Left Hand Brewery Warrior IPA and going to try Tremens Delirium for the first time this weekend. Cant wait!!

+100 on Left Hand Brewing One of the Best Breweries here in Co

I'm drinking a longhammer too! You really can't beat it for the money.

They are not bad, Maximus and Hop Stopid are both amazing. If you get Ninkasi try their double hopped IPA, not gonna lie, its amazing. Hit up Ninkasi's Red, their IPA, their Double IPA, they are all amazing. So I live in oregon, their brewery is a whopping 40 mins away from me. If you dont get their beer in your area I may be able to help you out, just PM me. Their BIC has filled a few cornies for me before, its a great company and even better beer!!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of IPA's. I remember when my buddy discovered Racer 5... well, I kind of remember. Apparently he loved it, because the pitchers kept on coming!

I love a good IPA. Lagunitas is very good if you're drinking more than one. DFH 90 min is very nearly the epitome of the IPA art.

I think in the last year or so, though, I'm about burned out on the "hop bombs." Like anything else in these United States, what we do we have the tendency to overdo. Me, I'm still seeking that perfect balance in an IPA. There are some that aren't billed as IPAs that are wonderfully balanced pale ales, and come close to what I could drink daily, like Three Floyds' Alpha King.

I just tried stone IPA for the first time yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Last time I was in portland, OR I made a point of visiting descheutes (sp?) Brewery. Everything they make is fantastic, but they had something very very hoppy on their X tap that was amazing. Also had mirror pond from a hand pump, which tasted freaking great too.

I fell in love with IPA's when my brother-in-lay turned me on to a Pliney the Elder. Down here we have Green Flash Imperial IPA which is very close in flavor. Its' my home town favorite :tank:

If you get Ninkasi try their double hopped IPA, not gonna lie, its amazing. Hit up Ninkasi's Red, their IPA, their Double IPA, they are all amazing. So I live in oregon, their brewery is a whopping 40 mins away from me. If you dont get their beer in your area I may be able to help you out, just PM me. Their BIC has filled a few cornies for me before, its a great company and even better beer!!!!!

I'll second the vote for Ninkasi. GREAT IPA's. Used to live in Portland and it was widely available on tap and in stores. Sadly... not distributed where I live now. I've taken to bribing friends to hand-carry cases back from Portland when they visit :)

Another vote for Deschutes too. Their Bond Stree Series seems to be pretty widely available (I can get it here in Wyoming!) and both the Hop Henge, and the Red Chair are great!

Just got my hops and grain to brew Pliny the Elder from the recipe in this months Zymurgy... can't wait to taste it!! (Note: The grain bill in the recipe is apparently scaled incorrectly for a 5 gallon batch, so make sure you increase the grains if you want a bigger batch. There is going to be a lot of hop loss on this HUGE beer!! 236 IBU's according to BeerAlchemy!)

Your life may never be the same. I find that I am now increasing the amount of hops in each brew. I can't get enough hops these days and my wife is now the same way. Welcome to the hop head world.

I'll second the vote for Ninkasi. GREAT IPA's. Used to live in Portland and it was widely available on tap and in stores. Sadly... not distributed where I live now. I've taken to bribing friends to hand-carry cases back from Portland when they visit :)

Another vote for Deschutes too.

This Ninkasi stuff intrigues me. I wonder if I can find it anywhere in Spokane.

+1 on Deschutes. They make nothing but great beer.

Heading back to the store... I got 1 Sweetwater IPA left. I made a grocery list (of beer) to see if any of your suggestions are available. My wife thinks I am crazy. :ban: :D

I love a good IPA. Lagunitas is very good if you're drinking more than one. DFH 90 min is very nearly the epitome of the IPA art.QUOTE]

OK,

Just had a Longhammer. Good, but I like the bitterness of the Sweetwater.

I also bought a 6 pack of DFH 90 min. Will let you know what I think shortly. :mug:

I fell in love with IPA's when my brother-in-lay turned me on to a Pliney the Elder. Down here we have Green Flash Imperial IPA which is very close in flavor. Its' my home town favorite :tank:

I finally tried the Green Flash IIPA last week. unfortunately, it may have ruined all other IPA's for me forever. It's quite possibly the best beer I've ever tasted. I still haven't tried Pliny though. As close as Russian River is, you'd think I could find it in my town, but no.

I also bought a 6 pack of DFH 90 min. Will let you know what I think shortly. :mug:

Dude, 90min is going to rock your face off. I can't wait to hear how much you love it!

But where did you find a 6-pack? I can find 60min in a 6er, but 90min only comes in 4-packs here *pout*

Drinkin a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, it's freakin awesome. However, I hate it that we can't get DFH here in KS. Straight pisses me off!!

Back