Lot of questions from pretty new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Live in Georgia and am buying a home. I will have a decent amount of room to grow hops. What hops will be best in this hot and humid climate and our winters get close to freezing and always have a week or two where it's a below. Also when do you plant hops? What's better a rhizome or a plant? Also can you limit the size of the plants. How big do they get. I imaging can be as big as you want. I want to plant a few different varieties but want to keep it manageable for the amount I brew maybe once every couple weeks. I guess I can freeze them.

Google is your friend here. There are a couple good sites on hops growing. I am on my phone so no help there right now. Rhizomes are easy to start with and they are cheap. Most plants will approach 10' on height so you need to trellis them.

Most people plant rhizomes in the spring. It takes two or three years for them to get established. Freezing is not a problem, just leave them in the ground.

Cascades seem to be hardy and proliferate in a wide range of climates.

So two years before they grow hops?

NO. If you treat your rhizomes well...at planting and all growth phases, your plant will most likely bear hops the first year. They likely won't produce a lot, but at least some. My first year columbus grew 30' and I've already harvested 1 lb dried with another 1/2 lb worth on the vine; my first year centennial grew 25'+ and may give up as much as 8-10 oz dried. I also have a cascade and centennial that I planted late (beginning of June) that have grown 25'ish bursting with burs. Nonetheless, the first year you want to cultivate root growth.

I understand columbus does well in the heat.

NO. If you treat your rhizomes well...at planting and all growth phases, your plant will most likely bear hops the first year. They likely won't produce a lot, but at least some. Nonetheless, the first year you want to cult've already harvested 1 lb dried with another 1/2 lb worth on the vine; my first year centennial grew 25'+ and may give up as much as 8-10 oz dried. I also have a cascade and centennial that I planted late (beginning of June) that have grown 25'ish bursting with burs. Nonetheless, the first year you want to cultivate root growth.

I understand columbus does well in the heat.

And the cones that are produced in the first year or two are often not as pungent as those produced in mature plants.

My Columbus 1st year thrived in all the heat we had this summer. I got about 10oz. Wet hops. My cascade grew a little, but produced very little. My centennial was pathetic, but maybe next year it will flourish. I wasn't expecting much from the first year anyways.

benzy,

Sure, the item in the link you provided will work, but for them to be happy they like to reach for the sun without too many kinks along the way. I use 18 to 20 foot poles strapped to a pipe that's been driven into the ground about 3 feet and they'd still like to go higher. Don't get me wrong, they'll grow on anything they can climb, but these are pretty impressive plants (size wise) and perform best when allowed to grow a little more naturally/less inhibited. Most of the time, new growers get an indication of what they may be capable of during their first year but by the second and successive years (as the plants come to maturity) they may have to rework their trellis/support structures to accommodate the increased vigor. Give it a go and if you have to rethink your setup, no biggie. The plants will continue to grow no matter what you have set up for them. Hops to you!!

Freshops Hops.jpg

Don't think it's deceiving at all . New brewer with a lot of questions. I didn't say what they are specifically because I have a interesting idea. This may not work but I was kind of think of using the thread as a hotline kind of idea. I don't know who would be interested but I honestly love to brew but I'm not experienced like many of you nor have a working knowledge. I like many other new brewers rely heavily and value every shred advice and information learned on the forums on Home Brew Talk and others. It maybe strange to say this but. Believe we all have a common interest and goal, to brew great beer and spread our love and knowledge of this amazing hobby. For me this is a great get away from the stress of work and other events in our lives. I love the five or six hours that I get to completely throw myself into something that doesn't involve a phone or email or Facebook or any other distraction that can run our lives. Yes I'm new brewer and I appreciate all the advice that I can obtain from experience brewers such as yourself. If your reading this rambling thank you on behalf of all new new brewers who love this amazing hobby.
Sorry for the drunken ramble too many Hebrews I'm proud of the brews I've made. I just want to make better beer.

Back