Northern Brewer now has Maris Otter LME.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool.:mug: I just made an ordinary bitter w/ Marris Otter, but since the OG was low enough I was able to go BIAB AG instead of my normal partial mash.

Muntons extra-light/extra-pale has been pure Marris Otter extract for decades. both LME and spray malt (DME)

I was just about to post a new thread and then I saw this one. So, here is what I was going to post.

Just got my hands on the new Northern Brewer Catalog and see that they now offer Maris Otter liquid extract.

It is listed in 2 different spots in the catalog with different prices. I checked the website and the lower prices are listed there, so I assume that is the correct and current price ($9.99 for 3.15 lbs. and $15.99 for 6 lbs.). I wonder if it is an 'introductory' price and maybe it will go up after a while. The higher price listed in the catalog might've been a mistake, but it is about the same as a couple of their other higher priced extracts.

I'm working my way into partial mash brews, after doing a number of extract/specialty grain batches. So, without any all-grain experience, I haven't delved into the differences between the various base malts. However, I've definitely picked up on the hype surrounding Maris Otter as being a premium base malt that is supposedly more flavorful. I'm wondering if this extract will be likely to provide that same depth of flavor I've read about.

How does Maris Otter compare to normal pale malt?

I need a recipe to try this stuff.

What is left that can't be made with extract?

How does Maris Otter compare to normal pale malt?

I need a recipe to try this stuff.
marris otter is english 2-row thats open air malted it has a distint flavor and just a little darker than north american 2-row.
Put a bag of Breiss extra-light and a bag of Muntons extra-light and you'll see

for all-grain and partial mash it has the same conversion power as 2-row.
pale malt will only convert it self
What is left that can't be made with extract?
vienna malt

it makes great barley wine.
Not sure how you can make american style anything with english ingredients, but it will make a good barley wine.

The "Innskeeper" from Northern Brewer is my favorite recipe, thats my house beer. I would totally make that beer with Maris Otter Pale.

Just received a 6lb. jug of it today from NB. Going to try it with either s-33 or munton's ale yeast. Any recommendations on which to go with?

Just received a 6lb. jug of it today from NB. Going to try it with either s-33 or munton's ale yeast. Any recommendations on which to go with?

Munton's ale yeast kind of sucks. On the other hand, s-33 is more for Belgians and wheats.

What hops will you use? M.O. would be great for an English Bitter using Safale 04. Munton's is an English yeast, but doesn't attenuate for all-malt beers.

Munton's ale yeast kind of sucks. On the other hand, s-33 is more for Belgians and wheats.

What hops will you use? M.O. would be great for an English Bitter using Safale 04. Munton's is an English yeast, but doesn't attenuate for all-malt beers.

I did end up using the Munton's, pitched dry. Temp in my basement is 76 degrees, pretty constant this time of year. There were bubbles pushing through the airlock w/in 1 hour. And by morning there was a good kreusen going. I used Cascade hops, my personal favorite.

it makes great barley wine.
Not sure how you can make american style anything with english ingredients, but it will make a good barley wine.

Maybe he's using American water and equipment? Just sayin.. :) Still probably English.. Just thinking out loud, I'll stop now.

I just saw the 12/12/12 thread and thought of using this MO extract for a barley wine on that day.

Back