Brewing up a Barleywine tonight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OG 1.104
FG 1.026
%ABV 10.3
Color 13.9
IBU 89.5

12 lbs. Light DME
.5 lbs. Biscuit
.5 lbs. 80L Crystal
.75 lbs. Victory
4.5 oz. Galena (bittering)
2 oz. Centennial (Flavor)
2 oz. Centennial (aroma)
2 packs Nottingham
1 pack Champagne yeast

I've never used 2 packets of dry yeast before. Does this seem right to you guys/gals?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this brew. I'll start it sometime around 8:30 Arizona time tonight.

Well, it turns out only 9 lbs. of DME was in the box and the LHBS closes in 8 minutes. I guess I'm going back tomorrow to get the other 3 lbs. of DME.

Oh well.

looks pretty solid to me, but 4.5oz of galena seems like a ton and way more than 89 IBUs to me.

2 packs of notty should be good, but you won;t have a need for champagne yeast unless you;re leaving this for a looong time and using it to gaurentee it carbs up.

looks pretty solid to me, but 4.5oz of galena seems like a ton and way more than 89 IBUs to me.

2 packs of notty should be good, but you won;t have a need for champagne yeast unless you;re leaving this for a looong time and using it to gaurentee it carbs up.

I assume the IBUs are low because of a partial boil.

Partial boil it is!

BTW, I still haven't brewed this. I had other things on the agenda for today and tomorrow looks to be the same. This weekend is my 4 year anniversary, so if I can't brew Friday I have no idea when I'll be able to brew this up. Monday, maybe?

Back