Why I am poor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
stash82508.jpg

just found out about beeradvocate.com and discovered wonderful new beers and now lots of monies have been tossed at water barley and hops.
oi.

anyways, thought i'd share.

on the way is 06/07 vertical epic, 120 minute dogfish, and stone 11th anniversary.

Drink that Pliny and Blind Pig ASAP. That's not something you want to sit on. Let the Decadence sit for 6 months or so and it'll get better. I need to get one more to cellar, even though I have one here at my desk. :)

And you should really look for the 03/04 Vertical Epics. Holy crap, so good. But like 80-150 a bottle. Not that I'd pay that. I've been a beer snob for a while.

hell if any of you have older verts and want some pliny/pig let me know and ill part with them because ive got a pretty constant supply of the stuff.

I envy you west coasters... I've wanted to try Pliny forever. :eek:

I tried Pliny at the beer festival in July and was blown away. Sad that I can't find any bottles in Portland yet although I hear there are some other Russian River beers in Whole Foods.

:off:
I know Pliny bottles have warnings plastered all over them saying to drink it while it's fresh. How long should I wait before drinking my homebrew version? Currently it's three weeks old and in secondary with dry hops.

The recipe calls for 15oz of hops but only 1 pound of corn sugar. Still will end up around 8% and extremely hoppy.

If you are talking about the DFH 120 recipe, reread it. He added 12 oz corn sugar every 12 hours for about 2 weeks. It came to 21.5 lbs of corn sugar and 20.7% alcohol. :drunk::drunk:

I disagree with the statements about Pliny not being one of the best IPAs ever. That and Alesmith IPA are my two favorites. Oddly enough, I get Pliny way more often, as it is almost always on tap in San Diego.

If you are talking about the DFH 120 recipe, reread it. He added 12 oz corn sugar every 12 hours for about 2 weeks. It came to 21.5 lbs of corn sugar and 20.7% alcohol. :drunk::drunk:

Makes sense now thought he was talking about Pliny. What a labor intense recipe! I had no idea that homebrewers could make 20% alcohol brews. I'd still like to try DFH 120 before committing to five gallons though.

the hell kind of yeast did they smack into that batch? 20% would just about slaughter any strain i know of.

in fact, how do they get utopias up to 25? is it reinforced?

And you should really look for the 03/04 Vertical Epics. Holy crap, so good. But like 80-150 a bottle. Not that I'd pay that. I've been a beer snob for a while.

:off: On my part, but people are paying that much for Vertical Epic??? Stupid me drank all my '03 but I"ve still got one bottle 04 (and 05 and 07) at home. Crazy....

the hell kind of yeast did they smack into that batch? 20% would just about slaughter any strain i know of.

in fact, how do they get utopias up to 25? is it reinforced?

wlp099, high gravity ale yeast. If your going to use it, look into the directions for using it. You don't just pitch and forget.

Latest posts

Back