Secondary Carboy - Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace1760

Reaction score
Hi all, my first ever batch is about 5 days into the primary fermentation stage (nut brown ale, extract brew kit). I have two questions:

1) First time using a hydrometer, it looked like OG was at 1.044...does that sound about right? What is a good FG to rack at? The instructions that came with the kit didn't give an indication of what it should be. :confused:

2) When I rack to the 5g carboy, what do I seal it with? The carboy came with a rubber "cap" with two short tubes portruding out of it. Is there supposed to be an airlock that fits into one or both tubes? :confused::confused:

Thanks for your help...

1. Sounds about right. Depending on your yeast, it should finish between 1.009 and 1.013 or so.

The rubber cap is a carboy cap. Take the white cap off the middle tube and stick your airlock in it. Works like a champ for me.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

As far as your FG goes, it all depends on the recipe. One decent rule of thumb is when you get down to one bubble per minute in the airlock its probably time to rack to secondary. As far as that carboy cap goes, you should be able to stick an airlock in it, just plug up the other hole.

Hi all, my first ever batch is about 5 days into the primary fermentation stage (nut brown ale, extract brew kit). I have two questions:

1) First time using a hydrometer, it looked like OG was at 1.044...does that sound about right? What is a good FG to rack at? The instructions that came with the kit didn't give an indication of what it should be. :confused:

2) When I rack to the 5g carboy, what do I seal it with? The carboy came with a rubber "cap" with two short tubes portruding out of it. Is there supposed to be an airlock that fits into one or both tubes? :confused::confused:

Thanks for your help...

1) After a couple weeks, check the hydrometer readings three days apart. If they are the same it is done. Your FG depends on a lot of different factors.

2) An airlock goes into the middle tube that points straight up, and there should be a cap to cover the other one. Or you can use a sanitized piece of foil.

One decent rule of thumb is when you get down to one bubble per minute in the airlock its probably time to rack to secondary.

It's been discussed here endlessly, but I'll bring it up again: airlock bubbles are a poor indicator of fermentation activity. If you're using a "secondary" (and it's not necessary for most beers), you do not want to rack until you're at your FG.

After a week in primary, check your FG. If it doesn't move for 2-3 days, it's ready to rack. But you could also leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks or more, with no problem.

Thanks for all your replies. EdWort, I noticed you have the caps on your airlocks. Is it supposed to be like that? Where does the gas go?

Thanks for all your replies. EdWort, I noticed you have the caps on your airlocks. Is it supposed to be like that? Where does the gas go?

Caps are on one post only. The CO2 escapes as it bubbles through the vodka in my airlocks. If you remove the other caps, then your system is open to infection.

Caps are on one post only. The CO2 escapes as it bubbles through the vodka in my airlocks.

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I understand capping the 2nd post with the white rubber piece, but what about the clear caps on top of your airlocks? The gas bubbles up through the vodka, but how does it escape the plastic cylinder if it is capped?

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I understand capping the 2nd post with the white rubber piece, but what about the clear caps on top of your airlocks? The gas bubbles up through the vodka, but how does it escape the plastic cylinder if it is capped?

There are holes in the top of that cap. It comes on all the three-piece airlocks.

Back