Plastic pop bottles for small batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscase

Reaction score
Hey

I'm getting hooked on making meads-- and I've made up a list of many fruit flavors I'd like to try.

I'm planning on doing 3 gallons' worth of honey and splitting it into separate batches, each with different flavors.

Can 2 liter pop bottles be used as fermenters? I would assume they are food-grade plastic as they are used to hold beverages. Naturally, glass containers would be best, and would purchased as my budget allows.

Thanks

PS: This is my first post, so this might come out looking a little rough.

Yes. Though they are a bit flimsy when not under pressure so if you bump them or try and pick them up you will have fluid coming out the airlock and then sucking air back in through the same. But the plastic is safe.

THREE GALLONS OF HONEY???!!!:eek: In one batch???

What kind of SUPER-mead are you making? All I've ever used was 1 gal or less for a 5 gal batch.

For 1 gal, which is about 12.4 lbs, you can make several great batches. I have one (6.5 gals) going right now.

I recommend you split them up into 1 gal batches (use growlers or fruit juice containers) after the primary fermentation. Add the fruit to the secondary. This way you can end up with 5 different flavors from 1 batch.

From there, actually about 1 year later, you can determine which one(s) you liked best and make full batches of that flavor.:D

ah, let me clarify: 2.5-3 gallons of must.

Thanks for info. That's exactly the sort of thing I'll be doing.

I've used a few of those in the past with decent results. Just be careful with them. The first thing I ever brewed was cider in a 2 liter bottle with a ballon with a hole poked in it. Then I transfered it to a second to help it clear and finally a third with a bit of corn sugar to carbonate it. To my surprise it was actually quite decent. All of this was a dangerous skill for an eighteen year old. Now some 9 years later I actually have some good equipment to work with :D Yes, two liters will work but I've played around with the small jugs for water dispensers with good success.

Back