in need of opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineapple33

Reaction score
so ive been brewing all grain about a year now and decided to start playing around with ingredients let me know what you think for a 5 gallon batch

12lb 2-row
1lb caramel 40l
1.5lb munich
1lb carapils
1lb flaked oats

1/2 oz chinook 60min
1/2 oz chinook 45 mins
1 oz cascade 30 min
1 oz centennial 1 min

dry hop
2 oz cascade 3-7 days

thank you!

I assume this is supposed to be a nice hoppy IPA.

Ditch the oats for sure (they are "slick"), cut out some of the crystal malt (you can leave out the carapils entirely), and move some of the hops from early bittering hops (60, 45, 30) to 15/5/0, and it'll be a nice IPA.

Edit- like this:
12lb 2-row
.50 lb caramel 40L
1.5lb munich

1/2 oz chinook 60min
1/2 oz chinook 15 mins
1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz centennial 1 min

dry hop
2 oz cascade 3-7 days

im going for an odd addition with the oats, not sure if ill like it or not just figured hey why not. im doing a 1 gallon test run tomorrow

im going for an odd addition with the oats, not sure if ill like it or not just figured hey why not. im doing a 1 gallon test run tomorrow

Oats are "slick" and oily. They can be nice in things like a creamy stout, but oily and weird in other beers. Like oil on your tongue when you drink it. I'd really reconsider the oats.

I would go with something like Yooper's recipe edit. My suggestions would also be low caramel malts, no Carapils or oats, and more late hop additions. Cheers and happy new year!

i appreciate all the input, ill change around the caramel and cara along with rearranging he hop schedule but im sticking with the oats. i want a first hand experience as to why it possibly doesnt work. i figure i cant go wrong with a 1 gallon batch and when i bump it up to 5 ill more than likely ditch the oats

they're a lil out of place, but i think you could be fine with the oats. maine beer company did a pilot batch 'session' IPA, which was really good and they said the oats were key in getting more body into it and i didn't find it oily or slick. also, im pretty sure founders All Day IPA uses some oats too

edit: Portsmouth brewing also does a pretty good oatmeal pale ale too

Just brewed a batch today. Got an og of 1.080, a lower efficiency than i was hoping.

Assuming you left the oats in, let us know how it turned out. I've been interested in tryiing to make an Oatmeal Pale Ale after hearing about a couple of commercial examples.

Assuming you left the oats in, let us know how it turned out. I've been interested in tryiing to make an Oatmeal Pale Ale after hearing about a couple of commercial examples.

Will do, im pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Back