How to fix out of round tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWBC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fix an out-of-round SS tubing coil? I do not need to fix the whole coil - just the ends so I can put a fitting on it.

I have heard someone suggest forcing a ball bearing through the inside of the coil... but I don't think that will work on a long coil - I wouldn't have anyway to push it through.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

tube_out_of_round.jpg

Some kind of tapered alignment pin like the swage tool might work. Heat it up with a propane torch first, it'l make life a bit easier. There might not be a quick way to do it, so take your time.

Maybe you could try a swage tool.

Like this guy here
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-1-swaging-tool-66750.html

Just tap it in until your opening is round again. If your tubing needed depth straightened out i would swage the opening round then hammer a piece of hardwood dowel in to make it round.

I think this will work well! Thanks for the idea and the link... I frequently stop at HFT so I'll try one of these guys!

iaefebs: The whole coil is out of round - so if I cut it, i'll still have the same problem...

Take a cresent wrench or channel-locks and round the out side. put it on the floor steping on the cut end, and unroll it, then cut the end off.

Back