Mead for noobs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottv

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a book or FAQ on making mead. I see a lot of great info hear and the stickies are great. But I have some questions I am not seeing answers to.

Example.

Is it ok to open the fermentation bucket to add nutrient, check ph, check gravity or if I'm I want make the alchohol content higher

That is the only way to get the stuff inside the must. Its also ok to open the bucket to give it a good stir twice a day. Its ok to just open the bucket and give it a good sniff to enjoy. Its also ok to just take a big towel and use that to cover up your primary so the gasses can escape. WVMJ

Great thank you both ! I have read the complete meadmaker but some of it is hard to understand as a first time brewer.

There is so much to learn and play with I am all ready excited about making my next batch. I found a great bee keeper who makes wildflower and buckwheat honeys. But he is retiring this spring. Ugh!

I understand completely--I'm pretty new to this, as well. You'll find that Ken's knowledge sticks a little better, as does what you'll learn in the forums, once you've started applying it. It did for me, anyway.

Very true it's a good read and has a lot of history. Just learning the ropes it's rough going through a entire book to find the info I need.

Very true it's a good read and has a lot of history. Just learning the ropes it's rough going through a entire book to find the info I need.

Why so, I'm a newb as well, but really why the rush, this is a waiting game for everyone.... just my .02

Like golddiggie says, gotmead.....

They have the excellent "NewBee" guide (linked at the left hand yellow dialogue box on the forums front page). Not mega up to date but recent enough to be very useful.

There is a lot of great info on there and you have been a great help gold.

thank you for pointing me towards the got mead site. It saves me from asking a lot of questions.

noblebrew said:
thank you for pointing me towards the got mead site. It saves me from asking a lot of questions.

I love that site, I have learned so much there in such a short time. the forums are awesome with the sheer volume of info they have.

I love that site, I have learned so much there in such a short time. the forums are awesome with the sheer volume of info they have.

Typically only takes a little digging, or searching, to find what you want. Chances are, almost any question you can think of has already been asked, and answered several times.

Latest posts

Back