Bottling High ABV beer when the yeast has pooped out - suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
So here's the pertinent info. Memorial day we did a barrel brew of a Russian Imperial Stout. This was pitched into a 53 gal Bourbon Barrel (that apparently still had some bourbon in it, how much I do not know). This beer was pulled out of the barrel last night and I would like to get this sucker bottled but I am not sure I will be able to with the beer at its current state. I don't normally do this high of a gravity beer, and I really do not bottle all that much either. So I am at a loss at the moment.

Brewed on 5/28/2012
OG: 1.116

A HEALTHY pitch of 1098 was thrown in (supplied form a local micro).

The gravity got down to 1.040 (which is where 1098 poops out), so some S-05 was thrown on it, which had zero effect.

Gravity was still 1.040 last night when it was pulled. Even if I add priming sugar at this point, the ABV (right at 10%) will be too high for any yeast that may still be in this beer to actually carbonate, correct (since 1098 is only tolerant up to 10%)?

The beer tastes fantastic, I'm not concerned about wringing extra gravity points out of it. I just want to be able to bottle up my 7 gal worth and let it carbonate and condition. Even going to put some in some fancy 750 ml cage and cork bottles (I said I don't bottle all that often ;) ). At the same time, I don't want to make any bottle bombs either.

So what do I need to do to ensure that this sucker will carbonate in the bottle? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Subscribed. Having done similar myself. Diddnt use the barrel, Used chips on mine. But it's a high grav ImpStout. I even added extra sugar during fermintation (got krausen so I think it did fine). But because of the late addition of sugar I'm not sure where I'm at, as I dont really have the "original" gravity.

Dont mean to threadjack, but I'm interested in the advice you get.

I would pitch ec-1118. At this point the beer yeasts have already made their flavor contribution, so the champage yeast will not add much, but may dry it out a little. It's tollerent up to 18% and is designed to ferment simple sugars dry. You'll be left with some of the longer chains, but it may bring your FG down a little. Give it a few days to work before you add priming sugar and bottle.

yeah, i'm not entirely sure I want to add the champagne yeast. We had thought of that, and I really don't want to dry this out at all.

yeah, i'm not entirely sure I want to add the champagne yeast. We had thought of that, and I really don't want to dry this out at all.

New Yeast strain from Danstar

BUT not sure anyone has it available yet

Danstar's description:

"CBC-1 has been especially selected for it's refermentation properties and is recommended for Cask and Bottle Conditioning. CBC-1 referments beers up to 12-14% ABV due to its high resistance to alcohol and pressure; it does not produce flavors therefore conserving the original character of the beer. The yeast will settle and form a tight mat at the end of refermentation."

See

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/cbc-1-cask-and-bottle-conditioned-beer-yeast

adding champagne yeast shouldnt do anything to the fg. if S-05 didnt do anything, champagne won't. the s-05 should carbonate it fine tho. add some sugar/honey in and see if it stirs up any activity, if it does, you're good to bottle.

also, 1098 shouldnt have a problem going over 10% if pitched properly

New Yeast strain from Danstar

BUT not sure anyone has it available yet

Danstar's description:

"CBC-1 has been especially selected for it's refermentation properties and is recommended for Cask and Bottle Conditioning. CBC-1 referments beers up to 12-14% ABV due to its high resistance to alcohol and pressure; it does not produce flavors therefore conserving the original character of the beer. The yeast will settle and form a tight mat at the end of refermentation."

See

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/cbc-1-cask-and-bottle-conditioned-beer-yeast

talked to my LHBS today, and they are ordering in some of this. In a week I"ll get to play with some. I'll report back. Thanks for the tip.

I clicked on this reading only pooped out- suggestions.. way different than I though it would be.

Be sure to report back sounds interesting

Back