What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely gross...........

wildblue_wallpaper_lge.jpg

Ingredients, as far as the brewer will tell you, are 2row, 6row, American and German hops, cereals, and blueberries... sounds good, doesn't taste good.

My wife loves that crap.....:confused:

Yeah, she does. I always tell her that she should just go cheap and mix some vodka with Kool-aid. That should taste fairly similar.

Now you're taking me back to my college days. Lemon-lime kool-aid, cheap vodka, and triplesec. We called it "frog piss" but it went down easy. Easier than any of the fruit flavored beers out there anyway.

Southern Tier - Imperial Creme Brule - too sweet for me when i was drinking it. Andygator (on tap) haven't had it in a bottle but every time i had it on tap (in same joint), it was bad. BYO just ran a piece on it, singing it's praise so I am willing to give the bottle a shot in case the place i drank it at wasn't taking care of their lines or their kegs.

Anything by Victory brewing where it seems their motto is if a little is good, then a ****load is awesome. I love IPAs but theirs is way over the top. There's not enough toothpaste to rid that taste.

Got another to add to my list and I only refer to it as craft brew because it's not massively available (here at least)

Sam Adams Tasman IPA - WTF is this thing all about??

Oh, I love you guys. Getting to read opinions on beers I like where others ABHOR with certitude is delightful. Keep it up!

But, really, those of you who don't bow to the altar that is Stone? DIAF. (Joking of course)

I liked 16th Anniversary Pale Ale more than the 10th Anniversary Ruination. TEHO, folks, To Each His Own. Cheers!

Just managed to read through all 26 pages of this thread, and wow-- I saw a few beers in here that I definitely didn't expect to find. Guess it's just a measure of how subjective beer taste is. :)

I've never actually poured a beer down the drain (cardinal sin), but I've got a couple that I wouldn't pay money for again. 21A's Hell or High Watermelon tops that list. My former roommate brought a six pack home and couldn't get through the first one. I'm an equal opportunity beer lover, so I took the rest off his hands. Sort of regret that now.

Brulosopher said:
Whaaa?!?!? Drifter is a great Pale Ale, in my opinion! To each their own, I guess ;)

I love Drifter, some people say they get onion/garlic from the summit they use, I never got onion/garlic from the bottle but the only time I had it on draft it was pretty bad.

allenH said:
I love Drifter, some people say they get onion/garlic from the summit they use, I never got onion/garlic from the bottle but the only time I had it on draft it was pretty bad.

I got some sort of off, piney vegetal flavor and very little fruit/citrus. Fealt very thin and watery and truthfully I'm no sure the beer didn't taste a little skunked or overheated. Which could be from my friends transport.

EDIT: went to my buddies house just to try one out of his fridge and the first one actually was skunked! It's not bad!

I have to agree with the Voodoo Maple Bacon. I was really looking forward to it, but I could only stomach a few drinks before it was too much. I got no bacon or maple flavors at all...only smokey old shoes. Before that one it was O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate Stout. Tasted like someone just poured a crap ton of cherry and chocolate syrup into the bottle, capped it and put it on the shelf.

Dan

I gotta admit I love reading this thread. Just goes to prove how different everyone perceives some of these beers. While I would say the vast majority of the posts I agree with, there area a few I really like. No wonder some of these micro brews can survive making some so-so beer. Some like it...some don't.

Sam Adams Bonfire is straight nasty. Got it in a sampler and it is terrible.

Legend Brewing in Richmond had a Smokey Chocolate Stout. Tasted like melted Hershey kisses and liquid smoke. Just awful.

Funny thing is I like Smokey beers (Stone's for instance) but these two are ones off the top of my head just thinking were terrible.

I vaguely remember being drunk off my a$$ in college (just once, honest Mom!) and a distributor came in and said he had just lined up a new brewery and he wanted to buy everyone a drink. They rolled in a keg and hooked it up to one of the taps and started handing them out. *Lots* of people didn't finish them, and this was in a college bar around 10PM. So you *know* that stuff was bad.

Worst one I can remember was Dixie Blackened Voodoo. Tasted like a burnt shoe with a hint of old sweatsock, and no body whatsoever. Bought a whole case of it (I'm in PA) and I think I still had 4-5 bottles sitting on a shelf when I moved over a year later.

Was very disappointed with Rogue Dead Guy Ale too, although I'm willing to give it another try sometime. Had it when I lived in Portland, so I don't think it was an issue with travel or storage.

Shiner Smokehaus won Worst Beer at a swill contest I was involved in a few years ago.

I was only given a few ounces but I couldn't even finish that.

Trokair said:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Flying Dog Raging ***** are both terrible. Both of them are like coating your tounge with baking soda mixed with lemon juice. Just aweful.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?!?!?!??

Blasphemy. That is blasphemy sir.

while tates differ. I am becoming concerned tha a SHOCKING # of good hoppy beers are being abused...(dumped)

I have set up a hotline.

1-866-hop virgin

I provide a free ups label and box (you pay all shipping)

"Please, give these hoppy beers a chance at a better life"

People grow these hops noobs!!! have a heart!

I know I am an ass. I just fail to care.

while tates differ. I am becoming concerned tha a SHOCKING # of good hoppy beers are being abused...(dumped)

It's quite possible lots of those are due to poorly treated or super old bottles. I've stopped buying IPAs at my liquor store because they are always ancient. The last straw was when I picked up a bottle of Victory Hop Wallop that was 15 months past it's best by date...

IffyG said:
It's quite possible lots of those are due to poorly treated or super old bottles. I've stopped buying IPAs at my liquor store because they are always ancient. The last straw was when I picked up a bottle of Victory Hop Wallop that was 15 months past it's best by date...

Find a new liquor store. Good beer is worth a little longer of a drive.

IffyG said:

but undrinkable?????

you could be right, but my instinct screams that people are hating the bitterness (which as a noob, I thought I hated too).

hating hop bitterness is as much a noob trait as disliking dark beer.

Add me to the list of those that dislike Abita Jockamo. It was reccomended by a friend and I thought it was aweful.

biddyk said:
Add me to the list of those that dislike Abita Jockamo. It was reccomended by a friend and I thought it was aweful.

Yeah, yeah...to each his own. C'Mon now, you can't honestly tell me that it's awful. If you want something awful from Abita, drink a Purple Haze.

I like all well-executed beers. Doesn't matter what style they are, with exception of BMC, I honestly cannot drink them anymore. The worst beer I've had from a craft brewer was Southern Tier's Raspberry Wheat. I think my bottle was infected. After sitting in the fridge for 2 days, it gushed when I opened it and tasted like raspberry cough syrup. I'd be willing to give it another go however.

I just got back from the PA Rennaisance Faire, and their beers are all from the Swashbuckler Brewing Co. I had every single one of their beers, and they were all watery and far too cold (I may be coming down with a cold myself, so that may be a factor).

dannypo said:
I agree with Southern Tier creme Brule and I will add Choklat. Horrid beers. Way too sweet. Choklat tasted like straight Hershey's chocolate syrup. I like chocolate beers but balance is important.

I liked the creme brule as long as i noted it as a desert beer... the first time i drank it it was ok the 2nd way too sweet... their java stout was real bad. I like coffee and i like beer especially a good dark one... the 2 sounded like they would go great together but the ending product did not.

Find a new liquor store. Good beer is worth a little longer of a drive.

Doesn't matter which liquor store I use... TN law mandates beer above 6.5% is sold in liquor stores completely separate from low gravity beer. The end result in IPAs end up getting treated like a red headed step child in this state. This is the main reason I started homebrewing.

but undrinkable?????

you could be right, but my instinct screams that people are hating the bitterness (which as a noob, I thought I hated too).

hating hop bitterness is as much a noob trait as disliking dark beer.

Yeah, some of the older IPAs I've had were downright nasty. The Hop Wallop in particular was oxidized with a touch of skunk... I was only able to drink half of the bomber and dumped the rest. Life is too short to drink nasty beer.

Back