Ferment longer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefe1911

Reaction score
My first Hefe was a month ago and turned out Great! It was a very simple extract kit. This time I didn't go to a secondary(cause I thought I lost some flavor) and added alcohol booster and liquid yeast. Thats the only changes. It's been 13 days in the primary untouched until today. I took a hydrometer reading and it's 1.015 and finishes at 1.02. Smelled kind of bad and tasted bad. Should I wait longer? What do ya'll think? It's gonna be kegged,not bottled.

OOPS! 1.012... The last hefe I made was awesome after one week in the primary.When I switched to the secondary I lost some flavor so this time I skipped the secondary. I'm confused how one can be great and the next not, when I tried to do everything the same? This one I would call bitter.

This time I used a white labs liquid yeast. First time was dry something? I didn't get any in my kit and my neighbor had some left over he gave me.

I'm confused how one can be great and the next not, when I tried to do everything the same?

sounds like you did many things different. Yeast is extremely important, even more so when dealing with hefe's. When you say it tastes bitter, does it taste like cloves?

If you were really aiming to reproduce the same beer, the yeast strain needs to be the same as well as th fermentation temperature.

Which yeast? Do you smell sulfur or something else?
I have some sulfur with Wyeast 1010 (American wheat), but it's fading away (11 days in a primary now) and expect it to be gone soon.
Didn't have sulfur with US-05, Cooper's, Nottingham ale yeasts (dry)

The only way I can describe it would be Super hoppy to a bitter. Smells kinda like when you first put the hops in. Real strong. The temp is the same,which is kinda high. 72 degrees one first one and this one. Put them in the back of the closet with a thermometer next to them.

My Hefe's tend to smooth out alot through carbonation.

For Hefe's I pretty much do a standard 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks slow force carb in the keg, then drink.

I wouldn't judge this one until it is cold and carbed. Most brews taste and smell like crap during fermentation.

I think I found out the taste. I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to transfer to a secondary. The bottom of the carboy was FULL of hops! The pic is from the top looking down. I'll give it a week or more in the secondary and keg I guess. The directions said to put the rest of your hops in the last five minutes of the boil, Did I take it off too soon?
ece6a631.jpg

Back