Sanitizing a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious...Do I have to fill the whole thing up with sanitizing solution or can I put about 2 gallons in and rock the solution in the carboy? Im using Star San. On a side note, who here recycles their sanitizing solution and what do they keep it in?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

I put about 1-2 gallons of water into the carboy, 1 tablespoon of B-Brite, and swish it around real good with a wad of paper towel over the opening. Then I rinse it the same way. Never had any problems. Then again, I've only done it 4 times. :)

Hi.
I started brewing back in January but i've just used about a gallon or so of no rinse solution and shook the carboy (and bucket for that matter) up like crazy as much as possible a few times before racking into it.

When not brewing I've used a scoop of Oxy-Clean and filled with hot water and let it sit overnight and then warm/hot water rinse numerous times before letting it dry.

I don't recycle much sanitizer but for the small parts and hose I've cut the top 1/4 off of a 1-gallon plastic water jug and that can go a long way on brew day. Picked up that tip somewhere on this very board. So much good info here.

Nothing but clean batches so far.

I've been using a gallon of Iodophor for sanitizing my carboys (BB's). I just leave it at various orientations, so all surfaces are in contact for a few minutes.

I've been using Starsan in the water in the tub I place my carboys in for temperature control. (Blowoff container overflows get messy.) I'll re-use that several times. I've just let it sit out uncovered. Nothing grows in it.

Star San only needs 30 secs of contact to sanitize, and it's "clingy", so if you use 1/4 oz in 5 qts and slosh it around coating the inside you'll be fine.

If you have a bottling bucket or something similar that's available you can keep your solution in there throughout you brewday for whatever you might need to sanitize.

My brewdays are often too far apart to save it the solution, although I understand it keeps for a while.

I keep my Starsan in a brew bucket (primary). When I want to sanitize another plastic bucket I just dump the entire contents in.

When I sanitize a carboy I use my auto-syphon. Plus the syphon get sanitized at the same time.

I also auto-syphon it back into the bucket.

I use 1 gallon of iodophor solution in my carboys. After mixing the solution I swirl it around to make sure every surface is covered, then pour the solution into a bucket for use sanitizing my other equipment. Since iodophor only lasts about 24 hours I have never tried recycling it.

jarvis311 said:
anyone else just use the "tbsp bleach + gallon cold water" mix for sanitizing?

i use around that and havent had any issues (yet)

I just started using Starsan, before that I used a bleach solution and I've never had any issues either.
I wanted to try the Starsan because I like the shorter contact time and no rinsing. I still use bleach for some things, though.

Back