Direct Fired MLT and Bazooka Screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonch

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a bazooka screen with a direct fired recirculating MLT. I have the option of using either a bazooka screen or a false bottom. I have used the false bottom for several batches and am considering trying the screen but am worried I may have a scorching problem if I try it.

Thanks for your help.

FB should give you more surface area and keep the grains away from the bottom. Why would you want to switch to the Bazooka?

FB all the way, if you heat your strike water in your MT you shouldn't need to worry about direct fire! But if you do keep the grain off the bottom like Sam said...Scorching grains doesn't make for a happy beer!

I have a FB that isn't quite as big as the bottom of my pot. I direct fired for several batches and struggled with scorching.

Now I added an electric RIMS tube and no problem. With just a bazooka screen, you would really have to watch your flame, and stir a lot to avoid scorching your grain.

I have a FB that isn't quite as big as the bottom of my pot. I direct fired for several batches and struggled with scorching.

Now I added an electric RIMS tube and no problem. With just a bazooka screen, you would really have to watch your flame, and stir a lot to avoid scorching your grain.

When you said you direct fired, were you bringing the temp up slowly or was it a significant increase say from 145'F to 160'F? Was that when you experienced scorching? Thanks.

royale said:
When you said you direct fired, were you bringing the temp up slowly or was it a significant increase say from 145'F to 160'F? Was that when you experienced scorching? Thanks.

I was doing step mashes, so definitely significant increases (although done gingerly).

I was doing step mashes, so definitely significant increases (although done gingerly).

Thanks for the reply curlyfat! I am switching to AG brewing and in the market for a mash tun. I am still debating whether to get a cooler mash tun or a SS mash tun. I love the capability of direct firing on the SS but also worried about the scorching problem.

One of the solution i read was to seal the surrounding false bottom gap with a spliced silicone hose, that way no grains would fall to the bottom of the pot. How big of a gap do you have? Thanks.

royale said:
Thanks for the reply curlyfat! I am switching to AG brewing and in the market for a mash tun. I am still debating whether to get a cooler mash tun or a SS mash tun. I love the capability of direct firing on the SS but also worried about the scorching problem.

One of the solution i read was to seal the surrounding false bottom gap with a spliced silicone hose, that way no grains would fall to the bottom of the pot. How big of a gap do you have? Thanks.

There's more than an inch all the way around the false bottom. I honestly never thought about "filling the gap". That's actually a fairly good idea!

Back