Big Arse Fermentation - why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I had a huge blow the lid into the ceiling explosion last night of a Kolsch. (Yep, I know the beer will most likely be fine, even after a few hours open).

I was just curious as to what causes one beer to so rapidly ferment versus another? The OG was 1.050 and I used White Labs Kolsch yeast. I haven't had any fermentations like this, brewing larger or smaller beers (in gravity). Temp was 64.

Just curious as to why this one might have been so volatile? btw....partial mash style...

Optimal Chaos?

In some manner of chaotic epiphany your wort had enough of what teh optimal number of yeast needed to breathe, screw, and eat and you provided it in the optimal temperature environment. Add to this the chaotic aspect of not getting teh gas out fast enough results in a mop on teh ceiling.

I always consider massive fermentations as a perfect microbiological mosh pit. But alas, this isn't always what you want.

Every fermentation will vary from batch to batch and I don't think there is a legitimate way to predict if you will have blow-off or not. I've brewed several AG beers and after the first couple quit using a blow-off tube because I never had blow-off. On my most recent beer, I ended up with a yeast volcano and I was reminded that I should be using a blow-off.

that whitelabs kolsch yeast is some volatile stuff. i think you can ferment it as low as 45-50 F, so at 64 it is really going off. very versatile yeast. i guess it's horny!

Optimal Chaos?

In some manner of chaotic epiphany your wort had enough of what teh optimal number of yeast needed to breathe, screw, and eat and you provided it in the optimal temperature environment. Add to this the chaotic aspect of not getting teh gas out fast enough results in a mop on teh ceiling.

I always consider massive fermentations as a perfect microbiological mosh pit. But alas, this isn't always what you want.

asexual and binary fission i hope, no bumping uglies in my beers ;)

Back