BJCP category question - Fruited Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I've got a Mango Gose I am considering sending to NHC. I am stumped by the category descriptions. Really seems to be a 29A since it is a classic beer style with fruit added, but at the end somebody added a final bit about "if its sour submit it as American Wild Ale".

American Wild Ales talk about taking normal beer and making them sour or funky. But not taking classic sour beer and adding fruit.

Any thoughts?

Kind of a tricky one, since its not specifically listed in the 2015 BJCP under anything but 27 Historical Beers. Would that be the appropriate category with the fruit addition?

My inclination is to put it in the fruit beer category. A proper gose isn't wild or sour enough for the american wild category IMO. But taste it while reading the descriptions and decide. What you tell you judges will also be important. In the Fruit cat I'd tell them its a gose w mangos or simply a blond ale w mangoes depending on how it tastes but for Amer wild I'd leave out the word Gose.

There was a similar question on the BJCP facebook group not long ago (I think that was a fruited Berliner, or maybe this is the same beer, I don't know). I think the prevailing opinion (my interpretation of what I read from others, not trying to speak for them) was that it should probably go in Fruit Beer, as it's a listed style from an established category, plus fruit.

There was a similar question on the BJCP facebook group not long ago (I think that was a fruited Berliner, or maybe this is the same beer, I don't know). I think the prevailing opinion (my interpretation of what I read from others, not trying to speak for them) was that it should probably go in Fruit Beer, as it's a listed style from an established category, plus fruit.

Thanks...that makes most sense. Still worried about that little anti-sour-addendum somebody slipped in but it's right in spirit of the category

Thanks...that makes most sense. Still worried about that little anti-sour-addendum somebody slipped in but it's right in spirit of the category

Yeah, it's kind of one of those weird ones that may have been an oversight.

Best option, if doable on your end and allowed by the rules (I don't recall a rule in NHC that you can't, but some comps I've seen do prohibit entering the same beer two places) enter it in both and see what happens.

I would interpret that to mean base beers that are normally not soured but have been soured and fruited, should be entered in the American Wild Ale category. Since the base beer is a recognized sour style to which you've added fruit, I'd enter it as a Fruit Beer. An example of a style I'd enter under American Wild Ale would be sour American wheat with peaches; because in this case the base beer isn't a recognized sour style.

Back