Keg Lube substitute...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone used plumbing lube for keg gaskets? Seems like it should work. I have some of this already for lubing the gaskets on Moen cartridges.

Anyone think it might be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, has anyone used plumbing lube for keg gaskets? Seems like it should work. I have some of this already for lubing the gaskets on Moen cartridges.

Anyone think it might be a problem?

Thanks in advance!
the clear moen cartridge/o-ring grease IS keg lube, or keg lube IS silicone grease.
the standard tan/ beige facet stem lube, i'd avoid for kegs

the clear moen cartridge/o-ring IS keg lube, or keg lube IS silicone grease.
the standard ta/ beige facet stem lube, i'd avoid for kegs

Great info, thanks! Ill make sure its silicone. I think it is its the clear stuff in the little flip top container.

Great info, thanks! Ill make sure its silicone. I think it is its the clear stuff in the little flip top container.

I've been using petrol-gel of years on keg o-rings and its not silicone. its basically clear food grade vaseline. its used on meat slicers and all kinds of Restaurant equipment that contacts food. a lifetime supply 4oz tube is like $4.

Thanks Amandabab, apparently in your case its not been an issue, but ive heard petroleum based products will destroy rubber. Maybe these gaskets aren't real rubber so its not a problem. I was surprised to hear people use vaseline and similar products. I think it may not be as big of a deal as i made it out to be.

Thanks Amandabab, apparently in your case its not been an issue, but ive heard petroleum based products will destroy rubber. Maybe these gaskets aren't real rubber so its not a problem. I was surprised to hear people use vaseline and similar products. I think it may not be as big of a deal as i made it out to be.

most "0-rings" (nitrile based) can handle oils and grease and are good in most temperature ranges. they are your most common run of the mill type. vaseline works fine and is pretty cheap. likely much cheaper then keg lube!! You only require a little and very little comes in to contact with the beer.

Back