Gothic (pale) Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytowers

Reaction score
-15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
-5 lbs Wheat Malt
-2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
-1.00 oz Chinook 60.0 min
-1.00 oz Cascade 30.0 min
-2.00 oz Cascade 15.0 min

-Nottingham yeast

This is fermenting in my root cellar right now. I was able to lock the temp in at a cool 58 degrees. The Nottingham started slow, but seems to be working strong. I'm hoping for clean and clear lageresque results from the Notty. Ibu's are a bit high, but I like hops, so why not right? Any thoughts?

Looks like it should be a good one! The cascade should give it a nice finish. Let us know how everything turns out.

-BBS

You're right, it's a Pale Blonde. This is the "light hybrid beer" section right? So how's the beer in Ohio?

The grain bill will get you there although your clarity may suffer with almost 25% wheat malt.
My comment was directed to the IBU's that you're giving this beer. 61 IBU's is IPA level and Chinook is anything but smooth.
I've made many Blondes and the last one I made was done with all Cascade. I love Cascade, but I don't care for it in my last recipe and will go away from it in the future. The bittering is a bit harsh.
Don't get me wrong, I love some harsh and bitter beers, just not a Blonde.
Leave it to you west coasters to make a hop bomb out of it!:mug:
Bull

Yeah we're all hop heads in the PNW. You mind posting one of your blond recipes?

I don't have my recipies on this computer but I brewed it about 6 times last year and it was always a crowd pleaser.
92% Amerian 2 row
8% Honey Malt
Amarillo as FWH to about 20 IBU's. Willamette is another hop I'll use in it.
.5 oz of the same hop at knockout.
OG +/- 1.045
FG +/- 1.010
IBU +/- 20
Yeast WLP051,WLP001, Safale 05 or Nottingham in order of preference.
Mash @ 150°-152° for 60 min or until complete conversion.
I adjust my water, but any good tasting or spring water should work.

I'll use caramel 10 in a pinch instead of the Honey malt, but I prefer the Honey.:rockin:
Bull

Back