March or Chugger Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
used the chugger for the first time yesterday. it worked great, great suction and very very quiet. i would definitely recommend this pump!

My Chugger should arrive today! Very excited! Thank you to everyone who gave their input about this pump.

I bought 2 chuggers and cant wait to get them mounted on my brew rig. Now I just have to finish building my brew rig.

Motor wouldn't spin when attached to the pump. Appears the mag coupler sticks out too far.

Loosen up the allen set screw on the drive magnet but leave a little drag on the motor shaft, install the pump hand tight against the pump motor connecting adapter to push the drive magnet towards the motor, remove the pump then push the mag coupling back app another .040" to clear the pump rear housing. Good to go.

What happened??? I am finally about to get a brew stand and now there are no more chuggers for sale???
I'm under the impression that they were selling off their test run from the looks of the thing. Couldn't even get the pump holes concentric on the casting.

Looks like they only sell march pumps on their site now. Knew it was too good to last

I'm under the impression that they were selling off their test run from the looks of the thing. Couldn't even get the pump holes concentric on the casting.

Not being concentric on the inlet and outlet vs the hose bibs has nothing to due with the pump performance at all.
With any production items small details to improve the item, pump head in this case can be done yourself, removing sharp edges as well burrs and metal flashing a Dremel can take care of quickly
I should know as I was lucky to have a SS head Chugger pump shipped to me free as shipping paid by Chugger. What more can one ask? I have respect for Chugger with this great offer. There may be issues why we do not see Chugger pumps available on ebay anymore, time will tell as that SS head is a step forward vs plastic headed pumps. I hope to see these SS heads offered in the future, I broke a March 809 head a stupid moment on my part. Don't forget the March HF impeller upgrade that's available will fit Chugger and March, good things come to those that wait.

Michael from Chugger openly stated here on the forums that those were the first run and they were making improvements for the next version. That was why he was blowing them out and GAVE AWAY so many of them.

JonW said:
Michael from Chugger openly stated here on the forums that those were the first run and they were making improvements for the next version. That was why he was blowing them out and GAVE AWAY so many of them.

yeah, Michael is really awesome. He really goes out of his way to make sure an issues is corrected. I had an issue with my first pumps and he replaced them no questions asked.

So pretty much what it sounds like is that the biggest difference is price and 3' of cord?

I recently (today) got my Chugger pump and I have to say, it seems to be a really nice pump. I ran home lunchtime, disassembled the head and scrubbed it out in the sink, then threw some fittings on, filled up the Boilermaker with about 4 gallons of water and primed the head. I was rather surprised that having only about 5-6" of difference between the outlet and pump, basically the pot sitting on the floor burner and the pump sitting on the floor, that with a small draw on the hose to pull a little water into the pump head that it picked up the liquid and pumped full force immediately. I was also surprised that it's not nearly as loud as all the videos I've watched online. Tonight I'll fit out the pump correctly and run hot UBC through it and then I can't wait to brew a batch of beer this weekend just to play with the pump and kegcowboy 40 plate chiller. LOL

Can I ask which model of Chugger pump you bought? The website currently has the Macerator Pump as the "home brew" pump.

not sure what the macerator pump is, but im very happy with my green chugger i bought last year

Dont know if this will help anyone but here are the specs on two different pumps from their web sites:

http://www.marchpump.com/series-809/
March 809-PL
Max Flow 4.5 GPM
Max Head 4.3 FT
Power 0.01 HP
Electrical 115V 50/60HZ or 230V 50/60HZ
Plastic Housing
Submersible No

http://www.chuggerpumps.com/product.php?prodid=99
Chugger Model : SS INLINE BREWING PUMP
Max Flow 7 GPM 22.7 LPM
Max Head 18.6 FT 4.1 M
Power .04 HP .029 KW
Electrical 115V 50/60HZ
SS Housing
Non-Submersible
60HZ 50HZ

Dont know if this will help anyone but here are the specs on two different pumps from their web sites:

http://www.marchpump.com/series-809/
March 809-PL
Max Flow 4.5 GPM
Max Head 4.3 FT
Power 0.01 HP
Electrical 115V 50/60HZ or 230V 50/60HZ
Plastic Housing
Submersible No

http://www.chuggerpumps.com/product.php?prodid=99
Chugger Model : SS INLINE BREWING PUMP
Max Flow 7 GPM 22.7 LPM
Max Head 18.6 FT 4.1 M
Power .04 HP .029 KW
Electrical 115V 50/60HZ
SS Housing
Non-Submersible
60HZ 50HZ

fwiw, I've added the pumps I use for comparison...

http://www.marchpump.com/815-pl-beer//
March 815-PL
Max Flow 7 GPM 22.7 LPM
Max Head 18.6 FT 4.1 M
Power .04 HP .029 KW
Electrical 115V 50/60HZ
Submersible: Non-Submersible
60HZ 50HZ

Cheers!

Does anybody know the duty cycle of these pumps? I'm assuming they are 100% so one could use recirculation through-out, say a 90min mash/sparge?

getting ready to buy one of these and need some QD and hoses... but really unsure on what to get...

If anyone has purchased this stuff, can you recommend some direct links... thanx

I will not provide direct links but I own and use a non-stainless chugger. I LOVE it. I got my hardware and hose from bargainfittings.com (great vendor IMO)

Some things to know abouty the chugger...The poly head is ok but I think I would have perfed the SS one. When I got mine it did not work correctly and made a strange noise. I had to take off the head and the part that spins on the motors arbor was loose. A quick tightening of an allen head screw solved the issue, now it runs like a champ! I have run it for near 50 minutes straight and would not think twice about running it for hours as long as it had liquid to pump. (Running them dry is bad I hear)

Some things I recommend: hooking the female QD onto the hoses and and male ends every where else. Also get a male to hose peice. The female parts are a pain to "blow clear" without one as it will not be airtight.

Hope that helps!

Zamial;3488411 Some things I recommend: hooking the female QD onto the hoses and and male ends every where else. Also get a male to hose peice. The female parts are a pain to "blow clear" without one as it will not be airtight. Hope that helps![/QUOTE said:
Good tip!

Does anybody know the duty cycle of these pumps? I'm assuming they are 100% so one could use recirculation through-out, say a 90min mash/sparge?

Doesn't matter which make/model, they're all the same in that respect: 100% duty cycle for as long as the impeller doesn't cavitate. If that happens they're all 0% duty cycle ;)

Cheers!

Why is it easier to have the female QD's on the hoses? I've never used them yet, but am going to have all camlocks on my new rig. I installed the female ends on the kettles and was going to use the males on the hoses. A buddy of mine told me to switch it as well. So, those of you that have experience with camlocks, why have the females on the hoses? Thanks!
Tom

TomRep said:
Why is it easier to have the female QD's on the hoses? I've never used them yet, but am going to have all camlocks on my new rig. I installed the female ends on the kettles and was going to use the males on the hoses. A buddy of mine told me to switch it as well. So, those of you that have experience with camlocks, why have the females on the hoses? Thanks!
Tom

For me it's easier to lock and unlock the fittings. Hands are locking away from heat sources and potential burns.

I have a stainless Chugger and I love it. I'm at least 10 brew sessions into the chigger and no issues. I'm going to get a second to add to my single tier, I'm going to start soon.

Tom

The female QDs are more expensive ... depending on your system, its cheaper to buy four females for two hoses than upwards of five to ten for all of the drains, whirlpool fittings, HERMS coils, pumps, chillers, etc.

Plus having the female QDs on your hoses adds a little protection to the sealing surface of the QD ... the sealing surface of the male QDs are exposed and can be easily damaged if a hose is dropped.

I have the chugger ss version and really like it so far. I put the female ends on the hoses for the above stated reasons too; also easier to clean them being on the hoses instead of everything else.

Tom

I have always had the female fitting on the hoses. As was mentioned, you are going to drop a hose at some time. With the female end, there is protection. The heat factor will also enter into it. If you are direct heating your kettle, everything will become VERY hot. Even with brewers gloves on, it will be hard to prevent burns trying to lock the cams if they are at the temp of boiling wort.

Here is a shot of my rig with lots of CamLocks.

NewToys1.JPG

I'm still using the same chugger I posted about on here about a year ago. Two sessions a month, runs constantly during filling, mashing (90 min) and sparging and have had zero motor issues. We did a marathon brew day of three batches, I don't think the pump got a break all day.

I've replaced the plastic washer a few times and had to clean the shaft that the impeller spins on but other than that it's been maintenance free.

When it dies I have a spare new pump and head.

I have an update on service from Chugger pumps. I e mailed them asking for a source for spares (I'm a maintenance mechanic by trade and love to have spare parts on hand) and they responded the very next day. They were able to provide the spares I requested and were delivered to my doorstep in just two days.:ban:

Great Service and response, I would differently buy from them again. Castermmt :mug:

Note: they are currently out of the Chugger pumps at this time. This is not a promotion, I'm Just commenting on my great experience that I had.

I have two Chuggers currently and they repeatedly fail if 1) the power cord isn't plugged directly in the wall (extension cords won't work) or 2) they get too hot.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with both Chuggers and March pumps that could say whether this is specific to Chuggers? Two batches in a row with serious problems at critical times. I am beyond frustrated and if I need to spend more for March's that actually work I don't care at all. Chugger's customer service at the start was phenomenal but the repeated fails are a serious concern. I'll pay $300 for two new pumps as long as they work.

I have two Chuggers currently and they repeatedly fail if 1) the power cord isn't plugged directly in the wall (extension cords won't work) or 2) they get too hot.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with both Chuggers and March pumps that could say whether this is specific to Chuggers? Two batches in a row with serious problems at critical times. I am beyond frustrated and if I need to spend more for March's that actually work I don't care at all. Chugger's customer service at the start was phenomenal but the repeated fails are a serious concern. I'll pay $300 for two new pumps as long as they work.

Both sound like a voltage issue - what is the voltage at the plug in the wall. If it is way below the nominal 110V then adding a extension cord would drop the voltage seen by the pump even more + at a lower voltage the pump will draw more current and get hotter. Possibly tripping the thermal protection. I'm guessing they just stop working and then after a while they start up fine again?

Sounds like a voltage issue, you may need a heavier gauge or shorter extension cord. It also may be the wires on the receptacle are not making a good connection.

Back