OK... can't wait any longer....WL820...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentonre

Reaction score
OK, I didn't want to be one of those people posting on fermentation not starting, but here I am.
I brewed an Oktoberfest 5g batch and pitched a single vial of WL-820 (I know, bad boy... no starter....)
Anyway, it was pitched in 75 degree wort and is in a 70 deg basement. I was planning to move to my chest freezer at 55F as soon as I saw fermentation.... well, it is 6 days later with zero signs of fermentation... Trying to remember what Revvy said and be patient. I havent taken a SG reading (I don't have an OG either.... I know... shame on me....). I am thinking of getting some dry lager yeast to put in today, but was wondering if WL820 could be going with no krausen, bubble formation at all? If so, almost a week at 70 F probably wasn't a good thing.... Should I pitch the dry yeast regardless and move to the 55F or shoudl I take a SG reading to see if I can confirm it has started (with no activity)? I am thinking just pitch the dry as that is the lowest risk of infection and I have had good luck on previous lagers with just pitching dry.....
Sorry for the rambling.... just looking for some thoughts....:confused:

Lager yeasts don't always develop krausen, especially when under-pitched. Airlock bubbles...well, those don't mean much. Take a gravity reading. Otherwise, you've got no information to work with.

I used this yeast for an Oktoberfest, pitched and fermented at 50. I used a 4L starter and it got going after 2 days and developed a decent amount of Krausen. Every brew is different thought so I would take a gravity reading. It might be hard to tell since you didn't check the OG, but I'm guessing you have a ball park OG in mind. If it is going then drop the temp, if not I might go with your idea of pitching some dry yeast in there.

Well, after almost 7 days, it started.... Didn't need to check gravity or repitch.... nice 1/2" krausen so moved it to my keezer/fermentation chamber.... man was that WL-820 slow.... I think I may go back to dry yeast.... I know the variety may not be as large, but it has always worked well... this first experience with liquid yeast has been nerve racking....

Well, after almost 7 days, it started.... Didn't need to check gravity or repitch.... nice 1/2" krausen so moved it to my keezer/fermentation chamber.... man was that WL-820 slow.... I think I may go back to dry yeast.... I know the variety may not be as large, but it has always worked well... this first experience with liquid yeast has been nerve racking....

Yup. If you're not going to take the time to do it right, dry yeast is easier.

Latest posts

Back