Cold Smoked Salmon and Gouda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
So I'm brewing yesterday with Spawn #1 and friends and I'm smoking some ribs. And I get the idea that I'll smoke some salmon at the same time. But I want to cold smoke the salmon. What to do, what to do? I think I McGyver-ed quite the nice solution.

First, the ribs...

DSC_0337.jpg

Next, the salmon...

DSC_0341.jpg

Next, the McGyver...

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

And the results...

1302522315.jpg

I also did a cold smoked Gouda cheese that Al made last week. I didn't put it on till late afternoon and it was dark by the time I took it out so I didn't get a picture but it came out beautiful!!!

The temp inside the McGyver when I was dfoing the cheese was 125*F +/- , it was close to 200 for the fish. The cheese took on all the smoke and got a wonderful light brown color. Can't wait for the time to go by till we can try it.

PTN

Well done Paul.

I'm putting together a UDS with teh DataZ kit and was looking for a way to configure it to cold smoke some cheese and bacon. :ban:

Did you line the cardboard w/foil?
No problems w/the cardboard giving some off flavors?

I put some foil on the bottom but that was just to prevent getting fish schmutz on the railing. I didn't notice any off flavors at all. I'm dying to try the cheese but she makes it with unpasturized milk so it needs to sit/cure for 120 days before we can eat it

wow! And you didnt even need a coat hangar or stick of chewing gum. McGuyver would be proud. That salmon looks damn good

I never thought of using the stack as a means of cold smoking! I am going to run a length of metal flexy pipe to a box and cold smoke a few slabs of bacon.

Oh, that's a thing of beauty. Too bad you're already married, or I'd proposition you!

Oh, wait. I'm also married. Never mind.

Make sure you report back on the smoked cheese!

Go ahead an proposition to your hearts content. But I need to let you know that apparently I come with underwear/hamper issues.

I've also been lead to understand (from my work wives) that as a rule, you of the fairer sex have become used to that, so maybe I'm a pretty good catch after all?

(Can I use that as a defense the next time this comes up? Cause we all know it will. I'm not the freakin' smaht. And apparently a poor shot.)

I never thought of using the stack as a means of cold smoking! I am going to run a length of metal flexy pipe to a box and cold smoke a few slabs of bacon.

I use a 20 ft length of dryer vent duct. Here is some smoked gouda, gruyere and almonds from the exhaust of my Green Mountain pellet grill while making jerky:

5663707230_9ae0e8868e.jpg

5663135007_b91c06db0b.jpg

5663699536_11828364c9.jpg

I did the same thing Paul did. I even have a Masterbuilt smoker. I used a flexible dryer tube and a cookie tin for my setup. I used duct tape to hold the dryer tube to the top vent of the smoker and cut a hole in the bottom and top of the cookie tin and duct tape that to the top of the tube. I also put a thermometer probe into the top of the tube. That way if the temperature exceeds 90 degrees in the cookie tin where the salmon resides, I can stretch the tube out to take advantage of the cold outside air. (assuming you live in Ohio) One other thing I do is brine the salmon in salt for 2 days to extract all the liquid and kill most of the bad microorganisms. It becomes salty however it is great on crackers! I also try to stay below 90 degrees because that is the thresh hold between cold and hot smoking. I wish I had taken pictures of this setup because it reminds me of something from the old show Lost In Space. Next time I will.

Latest posts

Back